Hermann questions

Jonathan lisle

Hi every1 I have a few questions regarding Rosie my female Hermann , Rosie is nearly 5 yrs old , after reading a few articles on here about pyramiding I was a little concerned , I have recently built a new tortoise table with much better uvb lights and heat lamp which I wish I had done when I first bought her over 4yrs ago and wish I knew then what I know now yet I'm still no expert just have a little more knowledge now , she has pyramiding and I quest that's down to her diet she was on at a young age plus not being bathed much , will her shell recover in time or not and how old is it when Hermann tortoises reach there full size , at the moment she measures 6" in length and 5" wide , I bathe her now every other day any advice would be great regarding her pyramiding

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi @Jonathan lisle and welcome to the forum.:)

Please give your tort daily soaks in warm water and make sure her enclosure is humid enough. This will hopefully stop the pyramiding. Where do you live and what is he weather like back there? If it's dry then you have to be twice as careful.

Any pics of your tort and her enclosure would enable us to help you more easily. ;)

Read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheet.

Jonathan lisle

Thanks Gillian for getting back to me , I live in England up north in Newcastle weathers becoming quite cool now as its approaching winter , temperatures are around 12degrees Celsius, since she has been in her new enclosure I have been spraying the enclosure daily and I have grass growing so I water that daily too , there is water in there all the time I'll put some fotos on to give u a better idea

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
At 6" I would assume she's pretty much full size. All you can do at that size is provide a little humidity in her enclosure, a good diet, UVB and a big enough area so she can get the exercise she needs. In your tortoise's case the pyramiding is cosmetic and not harmful.

Jonathan lisle

Thanks for your reply Yvonne, I have my uvb strip light as u can see in the picture 13 inches above her which I'm hoping that's giving her enough of what she needs , unfortunately the pyramiding is from her early days when I didn't know enough on what I should have been doing but I can't change that now which I could kick myself for , I must say in her new enclosure she looks so much energetic and happier , I also have a full length t5 day light bulb on at the very top of the table that u can't see on at the same time as the uvb and heat light just to brighten her table up more , can I ask I have only a 50w heat bulb in hanging as u can see 11 inches from the substrate does that sound about rite her shell seems nice and warm under it , and 1 more thing and sorry for all the questions but as its coming winter where I live I am now feeding her floretti crispy salad as it's getting harder to find dandelions for her will that be ok