Hermann tortoise

Mumnanju

Location (City and/or State)
Dorset
Hi all... Just looking for a little bit of help... I have a hermann, she was born in July 2018... Her eyes are tiny,is this normal?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What kind of light are you using? The spiral-shaped bulbs have been known to cause a painful condition similar to snow blindness.

Mumnanju

Dorset
What kind of light are you using? The spiral-shaped bulbs have been known to cause a painful condition similar to snow blindness.

Thank you for your reply....Its an 80w basking lamp.. Hopefully you know what I mean.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This one?

s-l1600.jpg

How close to the tortoise's back does the light hang? Does he have any shade in the enclosure? What is the temperature measured all over the whole enclosure at floor level? Can I please see a picture of the enclosure with the tortoise in it?

Mumnanju

Dorset
This one?

s-l1600.jpg

How close to the tortoise's back does the light hang? Does he have any shade in the enclosure? What is the temperature measured all over the whole enclosure at floor level? Can I please see a picture of the enclosure with the tortoise in it?

Sorry new to this forum, did the picture upload?... Yes its that light..The light is about 25cm above her shell.. The temperature is between 25-30.. She has shade in her hut..

Mumnanju

Dorset
Hi all sorry for posting again... Just looking for a little bit of help... I have a hermann, she was born in July 2018... Her eyes are tiny,is this normal?

15499104624948187484707917333945.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Get rid of the alfalfa pellets and the pine shavings (inside the house). Change out the waterer for a clay plant saucer with a few pebbles in the bottom and sink it down into the substrate. Provide a ceramic heat emitter for night time heat without light. Use cypress mulch, coco coir or fir bark for substrate and moisten it. All these changes should help the baby's eyes and make him feel more comfortable.

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
Get rid of the alfalfa pellets and the pine shavings (inside the house). Change out the waterer for a clay plant saucer with a few pebbles in the bottom and sink it down into the substrate. Provide a ceramic heat emitter for night time heat without light. Use cypress mulch, coco coir or fir bark for substrate and moisten it. All these changes should help the baby's eyes and make him feel more comfortable.
You may not need night time heat for hermann's, but you want to make sure it doesn't hit low 60s at night. I use a space heater in room, set to come on if the enclosure gets below 65 inside, the space heater then runs until it's 70 in the room. Generally though, our apartment won't go below 65.

Mumnanju

Dorset

Thank you for your advice.. I chose the pellets because when I used the coco coir or the finer type substrate it would end up in her food and she would be covered in it after going in her water, i was worried about her eating it and going in her eyes. Was I over worrying?... The only thing so far that she'll bury herself in is the hemp... I will need to try again..

Mumnanju

Dorset
You may not need night time heat for hermann's, but you want to make sure it doesn't hit low 60s at night. I use a space heater in room, set to come on if the enclosure gets below 65 inside, the space heater then runs until it's 70 in the room. Generally though, our apartment won't go below 65.

Thank you I will keep an eye on this too.. Generally the room stays about 60 when the main heating is off..