Hermann Tortoise Sick!

Maggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
I have a Hermanns tortoise who is about 3 months old. I've noticed recently that he has been squeaking a lot, almost like he is sneezing. I looked at his nose and when he breathes bubbles come out of his nose. I am very worried because I love him a lot please help! He has the proper lighting and he also gets calcium supplements, it this helps.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sounds like he has a respiratory infection. When people say, "He has the proper lighting..." That really doesn't tell us anything. To you, the "proper lighting" might be totally improper, far as we're concerned.

To help a baby get over a respiratory infection, he needs antibiotics from the vet and warm his enclosure up to 85F all over the whole enclosure, and cover it to keep the cooler house air out.

Maggy

5 Year Member
Salt Lake City, Utah
I thought I'd give you a little more information. I have a 100w mercury vapor UVB lamp that I keep at around 95F at one side and around 75F on the other. He eats normally and poops normally and he is very active. His eyes are totally clear and so are his nostrils(when there isn't a bubble coming out of them). He doesn't keep his mouth open to breath either. The only thing I can tell that is a bit strange his is squeaking and the bubbles on his nose when he breathes. This is also the first time I've noticed anything wrong.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Raise the temp like Yvonne said, 85 day and night keep the basking spot the same. If he gets worse or doesn't seem to get better in a couple days take him to the vet.