Hermann tortoise table

Omyvetbills$

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I'm a newbie and I'm a little worried that my 3-4 year old female Hermann tortoise is staying in her hide too much. Is it common for them to do this? We built a giant table for her and she seems to stay in her hide and not come out unless we physically move her.

Attachments

• 15910271110034008658530016952395.jpg
    15910271110034008658530016952395.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
what are your temps and what lights are using? also what is your humidity in the hide and out of the hide?

Omyvetbills$

Ohio
I have a new digital thermometer / humidity reader coming this week but I use a 100w heat lamp about 18" above the table floor. But in her 40 gallon breeder terrarium it seemed like the gauges were stuck and the tank was always too warm. We did just add new substrate and I know that usually increases the humidity

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
how long ago did you switch enclosures? sometimes they take some time to adjust as they dont like change.

Omyvetbills$

Ohio
I have a new digital thermometer / humidity reader coming this week but I use a 100w heat lamp about 18" above the table floor. But in her 40 gallon breeder terrarium it seemed like the gauges were stuck and the tank was always too warm. We did just add new substrate and I know that usually increases the humidity
And the uvb bulb is 10.0. They are the dual lights that came with the breeder tank

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I would say leave him alone for a few days more. They don't like change and he could be just settling in. I would still provide food and soaks but limit the your interactions.

KronksMom

Illinois
That's probably why she's hiding. Tort's hate change, even when it's a good change. As far as she's concerned, she is in some strange new place and the safest thing to do is just be very very still. Give her a little time (a little tortoise time could be a long human time), and just be patient. Keep giving her food, but if she doesn't eat as much as usual don't panic. They can go weeks without eating and be fine. She'll start to realize that this is all her space pretty soon. Then she'll start claiming it as her own.