Hermann Tortoise Vivarium Help.

Kisobel

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Heya peeps,

Been a bit since I posted on here as things have definitely improved with Herman. (again original name I know),
For those whom know nothing about Herman, he is about 1 years old, I say its a he for easiness honestly could be any gender, I recently weighed him and he is now 72 grams instead of the 50 grams he was.

He still doesn't seem to eat lots what sometimes has me concerned but I see him eat a few pellets. I still know pellets are not great, but I seriously can't find any good food products for him to eat. I also don't trust myself hand picking stuff. If anyone has a UK guide for supermarkets what I could get in for food alternatively that would be ideal, like stuff in a salad bag etc please do let me know.

Anyways back to the main topic,

What is the correct way for me to get the humidity up in his vivarium? I am using swell premium orchid bark fine for the substrate he seems to really like it however its gotten rather dry. How much water should I add to the corner of his vivarium, also to the hot or cold side? or would it be better to get a fine spray and then gently just spray the ground everywhere.

Additionally to this, what else would people recommend me adding or changing about the vivarium? it seems a bit dead since its started to get a little dry but also lack of green maybe? If anyone could recommend good things I should add to customise his vivarium it would also be appreciated.

Thank you to everybody on this forum too,
I doubted it originally due to what I got told but the results prove you guys know best.
Thank you for this.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-27 180417.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-27 180417.png
    226.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4480.jpg
    IMG_4480.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4479.jpg
    IMG_4479.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4477.jpg
    IMG_4477.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4478.jpg
    IMG_4478.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
@zolasmum might be able to help you about food sources in the UK, and maybe about the vivarium.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Heya peeps,

Been a bit since I posted on here as things have definitely improved with Herman. (again original name I know),
For those whom know nothing about Herman, he is about 1 years old, I say its a he for easiness honestly could be any gender, I recently weighed him and he is now 72 grams instead of the 50 grams he was.

He still doesn't seem to eat lots what sometimes has me concerned but I see him eat a few pellets. I still know pellets are not great, but I seriously can't find any good food products for him to eat. I also don't trust myself hand picking stuff. If anyone has a UK guide for supermarkets what I could get in for food alternatively that would be ideal, like stuff in a salad bag etc please do let me know.

Anyways back to the main topic,

What is the correct way for me to get the humidity up in his vivarium? I am using swell premium orchid bark fine for the substrate he seems to really like it however its gotten rather dry. How much water should I add to the corner of his vivarium, also to the hot or cold side? or would it be better to get a fine spray and then gently just spray the ground everywhere.

Additionally to this, what else would people recommend me adding or changing about the vivarium? it seems a bit dead since its started to get a little dry but also lack of green maybe? If anyone could recommend good things I should add to customise his vivarium it would also be appreciated.

Thank you to everybody on this forum too,
I doubted it originally due to what I got told but the results prove you guys know best.
Thank you for this.
Hello Kisobel
I live in Devon, and we do get quite a bit of food for Zola from supermarkets - the to we use most are Morrisons (pea shoots especially )and rocket and watercress from Sainsburys. Mixed crispy salad bags are ok from most places, but we have to go for a long drive to a big greengrocery warehouse to get radicchio, which is Zola's favourite food. I get several heads of it at once, as it keeps in the fridge for a long time. In the spring and summer, we have lots of dandelions - I would avoid ones close to a road because of pollution.
I can't really advise you about vivarium things, I'm afraid !
Best wishes from Angie

Kisobel

United Kingdom
Hello Kisobel
I live in Devon, and we do get quite a bit of food for Zola from supermarkets - the to we use most are Morrisons (pea shoots especially )and rocket and watercress from Sainsburys. Mixed crispy salad bags are ok from most places, but we have to go for a long drive to a big greengrocery warehouse to get radicchio, which is Zola's favourite food. I get several heads of it at once, as it keeps in the fridge for a long time. In the spring and summer, we have lots of dandelions - I would avoid ones close to a road because of pollution.
I can't really advise you about vivarium things, I'm afraid !
Best wishes from Angie
Hello!
This is actually really helpful, thank you for this. I need to look into it properly but its a lot harder than I thought to get a varied diet for the tortoise at a supermarket or in general. I ordered some "fresh" stuff off of ebay but its yet to come. I want to see if its suitable or not.

Again, thank you! :)

Reactions: Ink

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Zola's favourite is radicchio, as I said !
Angie
Oh, I forgot to mention lambs lettuce, which sometimes appears in Morrisons.

Zola-food 2.jpg

Reactions: Ink

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
> What is the correct way for me to get the humidity up in his vivarium? I am using swell premium orchid bark fine for the substrate he seems to really like it however its gotten rather dry. How much water should I add to the corner of his vivarium, also to the hot or cold side? or would it be better to get a fine spray and then gently just spray the ground everywhere.

Spraying doesn't work really well - substrate top dries out quickly. So pouring a cup or two in the corners works better (usually it has to be done weekly or once in two weeks). I would add more water to the warm side - it evaporates quickier there and relative humidity is lower under the heating lamps. You may do a "turn over" once a month to mix top and bottom layers of substrate - this way it won't get too dry on top and soggy beneath.

As for the other improvements - you may replace UVB lamp with a shorter one (T5 tube, like Arcadia Desert 12%, 24 watt) and mount it to the vivarium ceiling near the basking bulb. It's not urgent and can be done when current lamps output will degrade.

As for the "enrichments": a hamster wheel for exercise may work (I can't 100% recommend it yet as it can be a risk of flipping but some keepers use it with a success). You can also place some live plants (like spider plants) or faux plants (keep them out of reach) for hiding spots and shade.