Hermann vs.Greek Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

acpaws

5 Year Member
Hello,
I am currently new to all this and am trying to do some research to help me better decide which tortoise is best for my family: a Hermann or a Greek..I do have 2 little girls and am looking for one that is friendly, stays small, is hardy and has somehwhat of a personality. My cousin has one in Europe that she says is a Greek...I have attached a couple of pictures hoping to have someone confirm that for me...I was hoping to find one like hers. Thanks and appreciate any advice and /or suggestions from anyone...also, has anyone had any issues with Salmonella and handling? of course I am asking because of my 2 girls and do understand to wash hands after handling:)

Attachments

• Dodi 2013_.jpg
    Dodi 2013_.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Dodika_1.jpg
    Dodika_1.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 69

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
I have a hermanns, very fun little tortoise, from what ive read the largest they can get is around 7-8 inches if it is an Eastern Hermanns tortoise. On the other hand a Western Hermanns male should max out around 5-6 inches. Mines is very easy to handle.

One thing I have found out is that they really need a large area to walk around. For their size they do a hell of a lot of walking!!

1 Eastern Hermanns Tortoise 2.5yo

acpaws

5 Year Member
Thnaks for the info...can you tell looking at the 2 pics whether it is a greek or a hermanns?

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
I have zero experience with Greeks, however at a glance I would say it looks like a Eastern Hermanns.

However I am now going to go and google pics of Greeks to satisfy my own curiosity!! :p

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
After some googling I have came to the conclusion that to the untrained eye greeks and Hermanns are pretty similar!

So I no have some doubts about my original guess.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer the hermanns. They get a little bigger and tend to be more outgoing in general.

Salmonella is everywhere. Yes turtles and tortoises can carry it. So can your phone, keyboard, door knobs, countertops, etc... You already know what to do.

I would not take any housing advice from your cousin. Your tortoise will fare better if you ask the folks here that are experienced with whichever species you choose. You might see if you can get your cousin to join up here too.

Status
Not open for further replies.