Hermann vs. Russian

Brandon W

Location (City and/or State)
Rye Brook, New York
Hello all!! I am new here so hopefully you will be able to assist me in my tortoise journey!! I have done a lot of research on the Russian tortoise and have found a lot of information on them. I would also like to look into the Hermann Tortoise but I can not seem to find enough information where i feel comfortable taking the next step and buying a Hermann. I am writing this thread to see if someone could tell me the differences between the Russian and Hermann care. I live in New York if that makes a difference on which one would be better for me

josh shultis

ontario, canada
I believe the care is pretty similar though, I own 2, great torts with huge personality! Very friendly I could hand feed since the day they were brought home!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have a russian and have compared the care from time to time and it seems to be similar. I think hermanns get a bit bigger???? Not sure.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Russians are probably the most widely kept species of tortoise for pets at this point with a few species right up there with them. Information is pretty easy to come by on them now but as always, be careful what you read and really do your research. Eastern Hermann's are very popular as well and care is just about the same. As far as size goes, Hermann's are all over the place when it comes to this. Many Eastern Hermann's will hover between 6 and 8" but some get huge. I've got 8" males and 9+" females in my groups. Even Western Hermann's have a broad size spectrum. The typical adult size for Westerns is 4.5" for males and 5.5" for females but many locales (Sardinia, Menorca, Corsica & Sicily) can get very big, more in the Eastern size range. Russians also vary and I have some monsters in my groups 8+", so keep that in mind. Male Russians seem to hover more around 5", but again some do get bigger.

We're in NJ so our weather is very similar to yours. Both Russians and Hermann's will do well for you and should you venture into the brumation/hibernation one day, they absolutely can be left outside year round if you take the proper precautions.

Both species thrive for us and breed readily. Good choices, and really for a beginner, you can't go wrong with either a Russian or an Eastern Hermann's. It's going to come down to personal preference.

Brandon W

Rye Brook, New York
Russians are probably the most widely kept species of tortoise for pets at this point with a few species right up there with them. Information is pretty easy to come by on them now but as always, be careful what you read and really do your research. Eastern Hermann's are very popular as well and care is just about the same. As far as size goes, Hermann's are all over the place when it comes to this. Many Eastern Hermann's will hover between 6 and 8" but some get huge. I've got 8" males and 9+" females in my groups. Even Western Hermann's have a broad size spectrum. The typical adult size for Westerns is 4.5" for males and 5.5" for females but many locales (Sardinia, Menorca, Corsica & Sicily) can get very big, more in the Eastern size range. Russians also vary and I have some monsters in my groups 8+", so keep that in mind. Male Russians seem to hover more around 5", but again some do get bigger.

We're in NJ so our weather is very similar to yours. Both Russians and Hermann's will do well for you and should you venture into the brumation/hibernation one day, they absolutely can be left outside year round if you take the proper precautions.

Both species thrive for us and breed readily. Good choices, and really for a beginner, you can't go wrong with either a Russian or an Eastern Hermann's. It's going to come down to personal preference.

Thank you so much!!!! So just t make sure what I have seen on Russians I can apply to Hermanns I like the look of the Hermann tortoise better so i am leaning that way at the moment but I will most certainly be doing much more research on them.
One more question there is a reptile show that will be happening close by to my house and I was curious to your opinion on buying from there. Thanks again!!

Brandon W

Rye Brook, New York
Thank you so much!!!! So just t make sure what I have seen on Russians I can apply to Hermanns I like the look of the Hermann tortoise better so i am leaning that way at the moment but I will most certainly be doing much more research on them.
One more question there is a reptile show that will be happening close by to my house and I was curious to your opinion on buying from there. Thanks again!!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Are they like a pet store, or do they breed the tortoises?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Depends on what show. We do the Hamburg, Pennsylvania show every 3 months. Next one is this Saturday 8/2. The LI rescue does not breed Hermann's or Russians but they will get in rescues occasionally, usually mistreated adult males.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Im assuming that that they are breeders because on the vendor list there were no pet stores on the list. I did notice Turtle Rescue of Long Island and BHB reptiles
You can go since it's good... BHB reptile videos, my friend is addicted to them :)

Brandon W

Rye Brook, New York
Its called the New York reptile show in White Plains NY. I am very in the air on wether to buy online or at the show. Not exactly sure which website is best.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
The white plains expo has a strict 4" law so you will not fine any tortoises there that have a carapace length of less than 4". This is why we don't do that show.

If you decide to go the online route, I of course can set you up with a quality animal. Hermann's are our specialty here. If you choose another option, feel free to ask any questions and I'll always help out. You're welcome to contact me directly through my site hermannihaven.com or gardenstatetortoise.com

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Its called the New York reptile show in White Plains NY. I am very in the air on wether to buy online or at the show. Not exactly sure which website is best.
The show seems professional & good :) I glanced over the website, maybe you can adopt a rescue tort!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
The white plains expo has a strict 4" law so you will not fine any tortoises there that have a carapace length of less than 4". This is why we don't do that show.

If you decide to go the online route, I of course can set you up with a quality animal. Hermann's are our specialty here. If you choose another option, feel free to ask any questions and I'll always help out. You're welcome to contact me directly through my site hermannihaven.com or gardenstatetortoise.com
You are an awesome breeder! :D

Brandon W

Rye Brook, New York
Thank you i just sent an email over!!!

Sparta's_mom

South Carolina
Hello all!! I am new here so hopefully you will be able to assist me in my tortoise journey!! I have done a lot of research on the Russian tortoise and have found a lot of information on them. I would also like to look into the Hermann Tortoise but I can not seem to find enough information where i feel comfortable taking the next step and buying a Hermann. I am writing this thread to see if someone could tell me the differences between the Russian and Hermann care. I live in New York if that makes a difference on which one would be better for me
Hermanns have stolen my heart. They are like big dogs. Good luck either way at, my friend!