Hermann's Breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
Well over the past few days my Hermann's are mating a lot.

What I am concerned with is that if she becomes gravid this late in the season the eggs may be laid when it is getting colder outside.

Can someone tell me how long it takes from conception to ovipositon?

I've read 30 days to 60 days.

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Raymo2477 said:
Well over the past few days my Hermann's are mating a lot.

What I am concerned with is that if she becomes gravid this late in the season the eggs may be laid when it is getting colder outside.

Can someone tell me how long it takes from conception to ovipositon?

I've read 30 days to 60 days.

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

Conception (fertilization) to ovipostion (nesting) generally takes place anywhere from as short as about 20 days to as long as months. Environmental conditions to some degree, play a part. Temperatures, soil condition, etc... In addition to that a first clutch may be deposited with a second and even third clutch. Generally (but not always) the second clutch may be deposited as early as 15 days after the first.

Because it's late in the season the days here in the Northeast are getting noticeably shorter, nights much colder and daytimes overall cooler. A female in those circumstances may not nest now but may retain viable sperm. for future egg production.

Under "normal" condtions, Hermann's tortoises have two breeding periods. In the springtime through early summer shortly after awaking from brumation and again for a much more brief period in the early fall. After egg production most of the summer and early fall are spent consentrating on preparing for the upcoming winter brumation.

A male will almost always court and mount a female when they come in contact throughout the spring, summer and fall. But it is the female that actually the one that determines when actual copulation will take place. While a male will continue to try, most (not necessarily all) late summer encounters do not result in actual copulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.