Hermanns dancing/ trying to itch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAG0

5 Year Member
Hi Folks im new to the forum but have been reading since i got my two little ones ,
ive never had any problems up until Jeremy hes a year old seems to want to kick his back legs and knock his shell anything he walks past :S

any ideas?
thanks
Paul

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Paul:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Your little tortoise is probably going through an active growth spurt. I imagine the growth rings between the scutes get a little itchy as they're trying to push the shell apart and expand. He's just trying to help the process along a bit. You can also help by spraying warm water on the shell.

Sunshine

5 Year Member
UK
Sometimes when Herbie's growing I make sure she has regular warm baths and then when she's out I get a cotton wool pad and rub a little olive oil into her shell and in to the scutes which makes the dry bits disappear and she also seems to love having her shell rubbed!

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Sunshine, the shell is a live structure, and the only treatment it can use it's to be watered from time to time, and even better, offering the tortoise suitable hides to regulate temperature and prevent dehydration.
Oil should not be used. Reptile skin and scales/plates are not greasy, it is unnatural for them to be oiled, even if it's about a tortoise carapace. Oil cloggs their skin pores. They are not designed for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.