Hermanns doesn't like UVB?

zentort

Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham, UK
I've had Gemini for 10 weeks now.

We had a lot of sun over summer, so he was outdoors most days, and I didn't really worry about his dislike of the UVB lamp too much, and figured he'd adjust to it. But, he just won't bask under the UVB, even though he'll bask under a heat lamp without UVB.

with UVB basking spot reaches 94F at shell height - it's a 100W bulb (I tried him on 80W to begin with)
with Heat Lamp (alone) basking spot reaches 100F at shell height (it's 75W)

I'll take him out whenever I see the sun, but worried about how this will play out over winter. Any advice, or anyone experienced similar?

Reptilony

QC, CAN
I've had Gemini for 10 weeks now.

We had a lot of sun over summer, so he was outdoors most days, and I didn't really worry about his dislike of the UVB lamp too much, and figured he'd adjust to it. But, he just won't bask under the UVB, even though he'll bask under a heat lamp without UVB.

with UVB basking spot reaches 94F at shell height - it's a 100W bulb (I tried him on 80W to begin with)
with Heat Lamp (alone) basking spot reaches 100F at shell height (it's 75W)

I'll take him out whenever I see the sun, but worried about how this will play out over winter. Any advice, or anyone experienced similar?
Is it a coil type bulb? It can irritate torts eyes. Also 100w seems to be a lot of power just for uvb...Mine is only 15w(10.0 zoo med)

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Is it a coil type bulb? It can irritate torts eyes. Also 100w seems to be a lot of power just for uvb...Mine is only 15w(10.0 zoo med)
With this much power I guess you have a uvb mvb? Maybe just switch to something that doesn't produce heat.

zentort

Birmingham, UK
With this much power I guess you have a uvb mvb? Maybe just switch to something that doesn't produce heat.

Thanks for the reply Reptilony!

Yes it's a mercury vapour bulb... it irritates MY eyes, let alone Gem's.

Do you know if there any UVB BULBS that don't produce heat? I've seen UVB strips, but afraid I won't be able to install them, as I'm not too handy.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Thanks for the reply Reptilony!

Yes it's a mercury vapour bulb... it irritates MY eyes, let alone Gem's.

Do you know if there any UVB BULBS that don't produce heat? I've seen UVB strips, but afraid I won't be able to install them, as I'm not too handy.
Ok I wouldn't put a heat lamp AND a mvb. Any tube like this works ( https://www.amazon.ca/Zoo-Med-Repti...vb+zoo+med&dpPl=1&dpID=31D3k2zmWTL&ref=plSrch ) This barely produce any heat and is very energy efficient. Also don't worry about the price its' Canadian $ and there are cheaper ones. Just make sure it's set at the right distance as too close or too far reduce uvb levels a lot. This also covers a larger area so it should work for you.

zentort

Birmingham, UK
Ok I wouldn't put a heat lamp AND a mvb. Any tube like this works ( https://www.amazon.ca/Zoo-Med-Repti...vb+zoo+med&dpPl=1&dpID=31D3k2zmWTL&ref=plSrch ) This barely produce any heat and is very energy efficient. Also don't worry about the price its' Canadian $ and there are cheaper ones. Just make sure it's set at the right distance as too close or too far reduce uvb levels a lot. This also covers a larger area so it should work for you.

Thank you! I wouldn't run both - I've been "switching out" MVB / Heat Lamp every hour to try and trick Gem to stay under the MVB.

I had seen those before, but I thought it needed some kind of special wiring or light fitting? Do they just plug into the main socket with a plug? Suppose I can get one & if I can't get it working send it back though =)

Reptilony

QC, CAN
It goes on regular found in hardware store tube light fixtures but yes some require minor electrical jobs and some don't. Make sure it's the right type (t5 or t8) I have a t8 18" 15w that is perfect for my closed chamber. Btw, this is kind of the only good solution for closed chambers besides taking your tort outside couple times a week . Mvb's don't last very long(6 months) and it has been shown that they sometimes don't even last this time while tubes last a good year for sure and mvbs are very expensive. Also most mvb's are way too powerful and not dimmable! Last, the coil bulb, simply well known to irritates torts eyes badly.