UVB Lights are confusing!

Bethan_

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
I wondered if anybody would be able to help. I'm all set up ready and waiting to get my tortoise however i'm still so confused about the UVB lighting! (obviously he will not be brought until I've sorted this!)

I've heard alot of good things about the:
Arcadia D3 UV Basking Lamp (this looks as though it provides heat and UVB )
80W seems to fit what i'm looking for.. however

I'm really struggling with finding an Arcadia light fitting for bulbs over 75W why is this?
I have to use a large fitting if I want the lamp but this is way bigger than what I need.

Anybody able to offer me some help? or can experienced owners recommend UVB lights that provide heat that work well?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What kind of tortoise are you getting?

I like to use the tube type fluorescent UVB bulb. I buy them at lightyourreptiles.com. They also sell the fixtures to mount the bulb in.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Bethan and welcome to TFO

What we recommend very much depends on the species of tortoise as they have different needs.

As you are in the UK it is more likely that you are planning on a young Testudo (Greek, Russian, Hermann's) but we need to be sure

Bethan_

Uk
Hello and welcome to the TFO family.:)
Is this side helpful for you ? Maybe I misunderstood your question what you are searching for.

https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/d3-basking-lamp/

Thank you for your quick response Bee62! On the site it says that the Lamp Arcadia create 'Works well with the Arcadia D3 UV Basking Lamp. However, please note that if a mercury bulb is used, it must be positioned vertically to work.
Hi Bethan and welcome to TFO

What we recommend very much depends on the species of tortoise as they have different needs.

As you are in the UK it is more likely that you are planning on a young Testudo (Greek, Russian, Hermann's) but we need to be sure

Sorry I didn't add this. it'll be for a Hermann's Tortoise

P

pguinpro

If it provides both then it's probably an MVB which is not good for tortoises. Right now I'm using a 4ft uvb tube and some high wattage incandescent flood lamps for heat. Keep in mind a lot of flood light/lamp will say 80watt or 90watt equivalent which means it's actually a lot lower and will not provide enough heat. Or you can take the risk with an MVB.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So, for a young Hermann's you are going to need a closed chamber rather than an open table. That's an enclosure with a lid. This is because you need to hold in the heat and raise humidity. The floor area needs to be as big as you can get it. Ultimately you are aiming for a floor area of 4'x8' (1.5x2.2m)

You will need UVB and basking light on for 14 hours a day (use a timer) with complete darkness at night.

The basking lamp must hang vertically, not be at an angle and you adjust the temperature underneath (it needs to be 35-37C) by raising or lowering it. You will need a temperature gun type thermometer like this to measure temperatures accurately in the enclosure.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermometer-Zanmax-Non-Contact-Temperature-Indication/dp/B07CJ1SJYX/

You have a choice when it comes to daytime lighting:

1. A plain reflector basking bulb (75W) plus a separate UVB 10.0 fluorescent tube lamp.
Do not get a compact UVB bulb that looks like a low energy light bulb as these harm tortoise eyes.

2. A Mercury Vapour Bulb (MVB) which combines basking heat and UVB in a single bulb.
While these sound ideal, you need to be aware that the UVB output of the bulb fails long before the bulb actually blows. So, unless you choose to purchase a UV meter to test it, you must replace the MVB every 9 months at least.

Your youngster will also need heat at night... and complete darkness. Coloured heat bulbs must not be used. Instead you will need a Ceramic Heat Emitter which you must use with a thermostat set to 27C. This can be left running 24/7 as it will cut out when not needed.

I recommend you read the following care guides thoroughly. They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and sadly from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Testudo Tortoise Care (written about Russians but applies to Hermann's too)
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

We are happy to advise you before you buy anything as we can help you avoid expensive mistakes. Keep in mind that most pet stores have no expertise with tortoises and frequently recommend and sell products that are not suitable.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are four elements to heating and lighting:

1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT.
  3. Light. I use florescent tubes or LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most tubes at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. The Arcadia HO tubes are the best I've found.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
There are four elements to heating and lighting:

1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT.
  3. Light. I use florescent tubes or LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most tubes at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. The Arcadia HO tubes are the best I've found.
Thanks! because this is the most simple explanation of uv and etc that I've read.I like number 4 the best. I've always used real sunshine but will set up a backup.