Hermann's living together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamdc

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I currently have a male Western Hermann's that's about 6 years old and I was wondering if I'd be able to get another Hermann's and have both of them live in the same enclosure. I realize that they would need to have adequate space but I'm wondering if they'd be able to get along with each other. Would they share food or would my older male dominate the other one? And, should I get another male or instead get a female?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

adam

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Adam, western hermann's can prove to be pretty aggressive, especially males. However, I do house my whole group of them together and do not have any problems. Sometimes when I introduce new animals to the herd the males will become aggressive. If your enclosure is large enough you should be ok but just look out for any overly aggressive behavior. Most of these tortoises seem to live together in captive situations peacefully but problems can arise.

Can you post some photos of your western?
-Chris

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Adam, its mostly recommended to keep any new addition separate for some months just in case there is any health problem that might be transmitted. A new animal might seem healthy enough but could have an underlying problem that takes time to show.

Possibly you wouldn't know the sex of any new tortoise as most likely he or she would be really young. There aren't a whole lot of Westerns about, you'll find it easier to get an Eastern. But it best not to mix 'em.

Adamdc said:
I currently have a male Western Hermann's that's about 6 years old and I was wondering if I'd be able to get another Hermann's and have both of them live in the same enclosure. I realize that they would need to have adequate space but I'm wondering if they'd be able to get along with each other. Would they share food or would my older male dominate the other one? And, should I get another male or instead get a female?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

adam

Status
Not open for further replies.