Hermann's Tortoise - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

saggy

5 Year Member
HELP!
I have wanted a tortoise for so long, and about three weeks ago, my parents bought me a Hermanns tortoise, 1 year old. However, since I'm kinda stupid I gave him (or her) potato leaves quite a few times - but then stopped. I've just realised what it was that I fed my tortoise, and I have no clue what to do! How can I save him?! He seems to be eating fine still - and another thing, I've only noticed white wee when he's drinking once, is this really bad? and sometimes his poo's are a little splashy.
Please, please please tell me what to do.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Saggy:

Welcome to the forum!!

Here's a great list of foods to feed your Hermann's tortoise:

http://www.tlady.clara.net/TortGuide/Diet.htm

And here's a very good care sheet for you:

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-1000.html

Give your tortoise a good soak every day until the potato leaves pass through. This might take two weeks. Chances are they won't effect him. Place him in a tub of warm water that comes up to the middle of his sides...just deep enough that he doesn't have to struggle to keep his head out of the water. Leave him there for 15 or 20 minutes. Frequent soaks sometimes makes them poop more often. You want to get the leaves to pass through quickly.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hi Saggy,

Sorry to hear you made a mistake taking care of your tortoise! We have all made mistakes and it sounds like Yvonne has you back on the right track. Your tortoise will recover and forgive you, and while that's happening you have several great resources to peruse.

Welcome to the forum and post photos of your new pet as soon as possible. :D

saggy

5 Year Member
Thank you! I will do that!!!! Yvonne, Stephanie, thank you so much. I just hope he's okay!
Those care sheets are wonderful!
I called him Saggy for - Spartacus Achilles Gaudi Geronimo Yoshi, not just because he's all cute and wrinkly. I love him so much! And yes, I will put some pictures up. Thankyou again!

Status
Not open for further replies.