Hermann's tortoise slow and inactive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OxygenJunkie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco, CA
Baxter, my 9-month old eastern Hermann's tortoise, has been very lethargic lately. All he has been doing is staying in his log. He has also been having a weak appetite, something that is very out of character. His right eye also seems to be opened smaller than his left. Whenever I put my finger close to his head, he wouldn't even pull back into his shell like he usually does.

I tried to give him a bath, but it had no effect. I don't know what else to do apart from taking him to the vet.

I will provide pictures soon.

abclements

5 Year Member
Can you give us a run down of his habitat? Temps, humidity, what the enclosure looks like (pics really help for this one), diet... keep an eye on him, and keep soaking him in warmish water.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Baxter, my 9-month old eastern Hermann's tortoise, has been very lethargic lately.

Was his activity level high before?

All he has been doing is staying in his log.

What is the temp in the enclosure? What is the humidity situation?

He has also been having a weak appetite, something that is very out of character.

Have you changed up his diet? Do you offer some variety?

His right eye also seems to be opened smaller than his left. Whenever I put my finger close to his head, he wouldn't even pull back into his shell like he usually does.

I would be curious as to how often he is soaked now and for how long? Does he eat items with high vitamin A (not injections, as those can be dangerous)..

Status
Not open for further replies.