Herman's or Greek

PetPlanet

Please help me out, I am getting a tort but I am not sure whether I should get a Herman's or a Greek tortoise. What do you have?, what do you recommend? Is one species more lively than the other? Or does it just depend if you get one with a good personality? Please Help. Thanks. ;)

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire, UK
I have a hermanns and I love him to bits, he's chilled out and likes nothing more than to bask, then go for a walk, then munch on his food, then bask again. I think they can all have their different personalites. Best thing to do is check on adult size and care and see which you could best provide for. I think all tortoises are cute!

PetPlanet

OK thanks, I was originally going to get a Herman's but held a Greek tortoise and fell in love with both of them! It is so hard choosing, I might get one species and later on have another enclosure for another species. But I still wouldn't know which one to get first. I just love any tortoise species but will get either a hermanns or Greek to begin with. Thanks.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
When you are having a hard time deciding between two types of tortoises, then I say to wait and let your heart speak to you. By that I mean, there are certain tortoises that when we see them (or pictures of them) we feel an instant love or desire for them. I'd say wait until an animal pulls that string and you just know it's the one you want.

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
If you go with what Jacqui says, you will get the first one you see!!! They are all awesome :D

PetPlanet

Both, when it is warm enough I will keep them outside as much as I can and when it is colder I will bring them in.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I think you can't go wrong either way. I think Hermanns may be a slightly hardier species but I'm no expert. I have 3 young dalmation hermanns that I adore

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
^_^ i have 3 Ibera Greek tortoise and 1 Eastern Hermann tortoise... either way you cant really go wrong... they both have the same care sheet.... only thing i dont like about hermann tortoises is, males tend to be more hostile when it comes to territory... from my observation... they tend to do a lot more biting compared to the male greeks... but this is just my thoughts about them... so dont fully quote me on this... lol... my male greek just tend to ramp the others thats why he is in a seperate enclosure from my females...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Joanne said:
If you go with what Jacqui says, you will get the first one you see!!! They are all awesome :D

I can't really remember back to when I first started out with tortoises, if that was true. I know I see a lot of tortoises which I may like or think are neat these days, but not many that I feel I really want to have them come live here.

Of the two for me, I like the hermanni better and a lot of that is just I like their shell patterns better.