Identifying the (sub)species

K

Kvantex

Hi guys, I am new to this forum so hello to all. I got new pair of tortoises, I'm pretty sure they're Herman's tortoises but not certain about the subspecies. I would like to add some new members to the hord and I dont want subspecies to mix, and I would appreciate the help to identify them. I included multiple pictures of both.

Since tinypic stopped working it is hard to add pictures appropriately so please have patience.

Attachments

• f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • f2.jpg
    f2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • f3.jpg
    f3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • f4.jpg
    f4.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Your tortoises look to me to be hybrids. They look closest to a dalmation Hermann's.

I'm not certain and still learning a lot of the subtleties of the Testudos so let's ask @HermanniChris who is the true expert with these tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
An fyi, tortoises should not be housed in pairs. One male to 2 or more females in an appropriate size enclosure, very large, with multiple hides, food and water locations and sight barriers should work.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Your female is a pure Dalmatian (T. h. hercegovinensis) and your male looks to be an intergrade between T. h. hercegovinensis and T. h. boettgeri, this occurs naturally in areas like Montenegro.

K

Kvantex

Thank you all for help. They have been purchased recently and are the first of many. I am in process of remaking and expanding the living area outside and have been scanning the market for the last few weeks for females but didn't have luck so far.