Hermit crab update...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I was ripping up the old indoor Red-foot habitat, when I heard noises in the debris- all three hermit crabs were alive and active!

So, backstory: Back in early December, I added three Hermit Crabs (the purple clawed versions) to my 9x4' indoor tort habitat like was suggested in Vinke and Vetter's "South American Tortoises" to serve like catfish do in a fish tank.

There was some give and take here- many seemed to think that the crabs would nibble on the tortoises, or the tortoises would eat the crabs. I offered nothing for the crabs other than a hiding place the torts could not access- which the crabs rarely used.

By March, I saw and heard one crab often, and occasionally a second one and assumed the 3rd was a casualty since I never saw it again.

In June, the torts went outside and I stopped watering, heating, or lighting the habitat- frankly I had rather forgotten about the crabs because of other issues in the house at the time.

So- from early June to mid-August- no water, no food, no shells to move into, and I find them apparently hale and hearty! I dropped them in the little guys habitat to recuperate and within an hour they were hiding and nestled in the moss. Amazing!

And to think- whenever we bought these silly things for the kids- they died in weeks!

wpk

5 Year Member
Ohio
I had several hermit crabs as a kid, I always loved them. Great pet as long as you don't get any that like to pinch!

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Poor things with no shells. I am picturing those little naked crabs running around in the dark! Then I re-read the post and saw they did not have new shells to move into, then I picture them squeezing out of their small shells. We keep ours outside, so the hermits would just wander away. Keep us posted, I am very curious how they work out in the long term.

shane1111

5 Year Member
do they realy help clean the cage that sounds like a good idea. i may try it

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
shane1111 said:
do they realy help clean the cage that sounds like a good idea. i may try it

I find fewer wastes than I did without them. If you try it, make sure there is plenty of space and good hiding places for the crabs.

shane1111

5 Year Member
i have alot of plants in my set up. i am starting to think i wont ever see my red foots when i get them lol

Status
Not open for further replies.