Hermit crabs with redfoot tortoise

Can hermit crabs and redfoots be housed together?

• yes

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • no

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfoottorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Longisland (Southampton) NY
[/size]Hi my name is liam and i have a 5 inch redfoot tortoise living in a 5ft long and 3ft wide indoor enclosure. i wanted to know if its ok to put a couple hermit crabs in my redfoots habitat because my brother doesnt want the crabs any more. some people say its fine and can even keep out bugs and others say no because of disease. so im kinda torn. what should i do?!?!

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Well as a past hermit crab owner I wouldnt worry about a diease, i would worry about pinching, or the redfoot biting the shell.

I say no inless you can separate them...

Plus teh hermit crab needs more of a sand or crushed coral bedding... So unfair to the crab!

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Yes, but I wouldn't unless you have a considerably large enclosure for them

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
there is a very extensive conversation on this about what, 6 weeks ago? people with big enclosures have, many have been eaten, eventually. Your bro could re=home the hermits, better for them, altho some here disagree

Roshi

5 Year Member
Evora,Portugal
I would say YESSS...
Hermit crabs use the same substrate and they wont bother the tortoise at all (nocturnal). Make sure that you give them a hiding spot and climbing places, (tortoises cant climb trees but crabs can) but most important keep an eye on that humidity!!! They will eat the tortoise's left overs and keep the place bug free. you have to keep salt water in there, but I don't think the tortoise will go for that, but when in doubt, keep it out of reach of the tortoise but still where the crabs can get at it. water sponges etc.. Enjoy

Roshi

5 Year Member
Evora,Portugal
The hermit crabs like it between 75 to 80%. Most people make the mistake of thinking they like a dry sandy area, they need humidity because they have gills. Perfect with Yellow foots

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Redfoottorts:

54396y1xsrgzwaf.jpg

to the forum!!

redfoottorts

5 Year Member
Roshi said:
The hermit crabs like it between 75 to 80%. Most people make the mistake of thinking they like a dry sandy area, they need humidity because they have gills. Perfect with Yellow foots

The crabs have been with Lucy (redfoot) for a few days but the only thing that worried me was Lucy tried to eat the crabs hermit crab food which is called Jurassi Diet which is about 35% protien and i know redfoots need some protien but can the hermit crab food be bad for her? or should i just let the hermit crabs eat whatevers in the moss and lucy's leftovers. Also i have never seen the crabs eat their hermit crab food so maby they eat stuff in the spahgnum moss..

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
ideas

you need to provide food for both of them.. keep it separate...

Here was my set up, once i was bit by one that caused stitches, i became afraid and gave them away... I felt really bad about it, but i couldn't keep them and not love on them....

crabs.jpg

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
its not going to kill her no, but i suggest since they only eat at night, dont keep there food out during the day..

Lucy will sleep threw them.. but if they cause her to be sleep deprived, she might get sick.. Of course i dont think they should be mixed either....

just give them a climbing wall and a top shelf to eat in.. they will figure it out

redfoottorts

5 Year Member
terracolson said:
its not going to kill her no, but i suggest since they only eat at night, dont keep there food out during the day..

Lucy will sleep threw them.. but if they cause her to be sleep deprived, she might get sick.. Of course i dont think they should be mixed either....

just give them a climbing wall and a top shelf to eat in.. they will figure it out

ok thanks

Roshi

5 Year Member
Evora,Portugal
ok... You have to think like a hermit crab. you are living with a big bulldozer that might get you. you have two options, get inside your shell and hope she doesn't crush you or hall @ss up the tree!!!!You should have some kind of structure kinda like a tree house, where they can climb and get away. keep their food there, only crab food, the rest they can get from her. Take a look at some crabitats to see examples of this. there is nets , vines, those tubes they sell for them, so make the tree house and link the vines or nets to that.

http://velvetdragon.com/images/pets/crabs/Crabitat003sm.jpg

http://velvetdragon.com/images/pets/crabs/Crabitat001sm.jpg

http://www.crabbytalk.com/wp-content/treetrunk.jpg

get the idea?

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Hmm this whole tree idea is making me think I could pull it off in my enclosure ^_^ Can I offer salt water up high? I've never had to use saltwater, do I buy it or mix it myself?

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
You just add teh aquarium salt to it.. cost 3 dollars at walmart and will last you at least 6 months if not a year...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The common kind of 'purple pincher' Hermit Crabs supposedly don't need salt water. As for separation, etc. I have been keeping three Hermit Crabs with my 5 Red-foots since before Christmas with no problems on either end and no special cares- and a lot fewer found messes. At night when I check before bed, I often see one or two out scrounging.

I DO recommend this only if you have a larger habitat, even though my crabs and torts share the same hiding area side by side.

Oh, and for a while, the torts tried to gnaw on the calcium-rich shells, but gave it up quickly.

redfoottorts

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
The common kind of 'purple pincher' Hermit Crabs supposedly don't need salt water. As for separation, etc. I have been keeping three Hermit Crabs with my 5 Red-foots since before Christmas with no problems on either end and no special cares- and a lot fewer found messes. At night when I check before bed, I often see one or two out scrounging.

I DO recommend this only if you have a larger habitat, even though my crabs and torts share the same hiding area side by side.

Oh, and for a while, the torts tried to gnaw on the calcium-rich shells, but gave it up quickly.

im pretty sure there purple pinchers becasue they have one big purple claw

Status
Not open for further replies.