redfoot and land hermit crabs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
if you're asking me, I have a red foot that i'm considering adding hermit crabs to. I have russians, but I know the crabs won't fair well in that environment

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hagerstown, MD
I have had hermit crabs for many years. If you give them hermit crab food they will be fine. I like the idea of using them as a clean up crew though. They would thrive in a redfoot's enclosure.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
goReptiles- I'd probably guess that 2-3 SMALL Hermits would be OK, but I probably would not bother with them in a 50 gallon tub- that just does not quite seem to a.) need as much help, and b.) really allow a lot of escape room. I'm running 3 small crabs in a 4'x10' space.

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
my bet is still hermit crabs 0 RF tort 4 (or 5 or 6) for the final scorecard of who is alive in a few months

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Sorry goReptiles, I was talking to Madkins. And I was wondering what species of hermit crab he was referring to. ^_^

Madkins007 said:
The idea behind the crabs is that they need about the same habitat and diet that the Red-foots do and they eat the wastes as well. If you are thinking about this, the guidelines I would recommend would be:

1. Have a big habitat- crowding will probably contribute to interspecies problems.

2. Figure 'big torts, small crabs' to further reduce conflict.

3. Make sure there are places the crabs can go for sleeping (they are nocturnal and should be allowed to sleep in peace.) This can be in a thick planting, box with a small hole, etc.

My torts occasionally gnaw on the crab's shells, so toss a few empties in as well- both for the torts to chew and the crabs to take over.

As for exposed, shell-less crabs- see point 3. They know they are vulnerable and will try to hide as much as they can.

I occasionally toss some pellets in the crab shelter area to make sure they have enough- but they don't need pellets any more than torts do.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Mine are the Caribbean Coenobita clypeatus, or 'purple pinchers' as far as I can tell from hermit-crabs.org.

Llama- after a few weeks, there has been no loss in Hermit Crabs, and watching the interactions between the crabs and torts, I am pretty sure that there will not be a problem. The crabs are not stupid enough to walk around when a tort is nearby, and when they are tucked in, they are more secure than a Red-foot- which cannot quite get its big mouth into the shell.

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
altho you have more room than most! Eventually they'll molt, then....no shell for a day

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
llamas55 said:
altho you have more room than most! Eventually they'll molt, then....no shell for a day

Hence the aforementioned 'crab shelter'- molted crabs hide more than shelled crabs do. As long as there is a good selection of shells and a place to hide when it is soft I don't see this as an issue.

But- yes. I DO think sheer size of habitat is important here. You don't need catfish in a goldfish or betta bowl, and I don't think you benefit from crabs in a smaller habitat- it is easy to pick out waste in a 30 gallon tub- not so easy in a big table. Ya gotta give everyone their own space.

Status
Not open for further replies.