redfoot and land hermit crabs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackcat38

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
north wales, UK
I finally got my copy of the south american tortoises and it was deffinitely worth the money! Its got soooo much info and I'm slowly getting through it all. In one part of the book it says that you can keep land hermit crabs with redfoots. They eat the bugs that appear in the warm damp substrate as well as left over food and poop, just keeping the place clean really. And they need the same enviroment that redfoots do, so would coexist well.

So does anyone do this with their adult reds?

tortguy521

5 Year Member
No i have not done this and i would recconmed you dont though because the redfoot might try to eat it and depending on the size of the hermit crab and the redfoot the redfoot might step on it or eat it and the crab might pinch the tort so i dont think you should.

best of luck.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I did this and it worked well until crab outgrew it's shell and then while searching for new shell, well RFs are omnivores. Bye bye crab.

blackcat38

5 Year Member
north wales, UK
shame :(
Did you have a little group of them or just the one? But they didn't bother the crab when it had a shell? I wonder if you can tell when they're about to change shell so could separated them whilst they looked for a new one?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
There was a group of four with two adult RFs. I never could tell when they decided to switch shells. My hermits were caught in Florida and therefore free. I wouldn't suggest mixing purchased crabs with them. Actually this is a concern with all crabs when housed with any omnivore or carnivore species as they are a natural food soucre.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I'd be concerned if they came from different areas in the world, but otherwise cool.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The thing is... while some people have reservations, it seems to be a somewhat common practice in Europe, and it works well for them.

While Vinke's book does not discuss it in depth, I would assume that set-up would be important- the crabs having their own safe retreats, and overall enough space to get away from the torts.

Besides... I'm always looking for new snacks for my herd! :)

Shalon

5 Year Member
hermit crabs should always have various sizes of shells available so they can change when they want/need to.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Is it wrong to find it funny that the RF's ate the crabs trying to keep their place clean? or am I the only one?

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Hm.. sounds interesting... What size should the redfoot be before putting hermit crabs in the enclosure? Mine is just 4 months old. I have seen pretty small hermit crabs for sale locally. Should I wait, or is it ok to introduce a few hermit crabs?

How would you keep a proper diet for the hermit crabs without the tort trying to take a bite? Or is it ok?

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
goReptiles said:
Hm.. sounds interesting... What size should the redfoot be before putting hermit crabs in the enclosure? Mine is just 4 months old. I have seen pretty small hermit crabs for sale locally. Should I wait, or is it ok to introduce a few hermit crabs?

How would you keep a proper diet for the hermit crabs without the tort trying to take a bite? Or is it ok?

there is another thread on this subject around here somewhere, and the concensus is, the hermits WILL get eaten, it's just a matter of time.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Upon further research I was told that hermit crabs do need a small amount of salt water to sit in to absorb the sodium they need fyi

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There are two main kinds of crabs in the pet trade. The 'purple pinchers' live away from the shore, but the Ecuadorean species need salt. Avoid them.

So far, its been a week and a half 5 assorted size torts vs. 3 small crabs- some gnawing on the shells, no eaten crabs.

I know a lot of people THEORIZED they would get eaten, but come on- hermit crabs have more predators than small turtles do and are well-protected. A Red-foot would have to catch one mostly out of the shell and unawares to eat it- they sure cannot reach into the shell and do anything.

I WOULD NOT recommend this if you don't have a spacious habitat though- if they are all crowded together, bad things will happen. Right now, however, they are all sleeping together in the hide.

For hermit crab care, try http://www.hermit-crabs.com

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
madkins, how do you feed yours? Have you seen the crabs bully the tortoise?

llamas55 said:
goReptiles said:

there is another thread on this subject around here somewhere, and the concensus is, the hermits WILL get eaten, it's just a matter of time.

that I've read in this thread. The question was more of whether or not there was a size that is ok or not to introduce land crabs. Is there a size tort/crab ratio. Because I'd like to try even thoug the odds are pretty high that the tort will eat the crabs. He's 4 months and about 2.25-2.5 inches. I figured smaller sized crabs no big ones. If anything
wouldn't the crabs be a source of protein?

the other question was what about food. I know land crabs will eat produce, but don't they generally need a pellet diet. Is it ok if the tort eats the hermit crab food? Will the tort and crabs be fine eating together?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The idea behind the crabs is that they need about the same habitat and diet that the Red-foots do and they eat the wastes as well. If you are thinking about this, the guidelines I would recommend would be:

1. Have a big habitat- crowding will probably contribute to interspecies problems.

2. Figure 'big torts, small crabs' to further reduce conflict.

3. Make sure there are places the crabs can go for sleeping (they are nocturnal and should be allowed to sleep in peace.) This can be in a thick planting, box with a small hole, etc.

My torts occasionally gnaw on the crab's shells, so toss a few empties in as well- both for the torts to chew and the crabs to take over.

As for exposed, shell-less crabs- see point 3. They know they are vulnerable and will try to hide as much as they can.

I occasionally toss some pellets in the crab shelter area to make sure they have enough- but they don't need pellets any more than torts do.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I have a 50 gallon tub with one 4 month old tortoise in it. I figure that's a good size. Would you figure just a few small land crabs since the tortoise is smaller?

I have purchased another tort, same size and age but not until the weather is better so it can be shipped safely. But even after quarantine, do you think the size of the tub will be ok for the 2 small torts and a few crabs?

Madkins007 said:
The idea behind the crabs is that they need about the same habitat and diet that the Red-foots do and they eat the wastes as well. If you are thinking about this, the guidelines I would recommend would be:

1. Have a big habitat- crowding will probably contribute to interspecies problems.

2. Figure 'big torts, small crabs' to further reduce conflict.

3. Make sure there are places the crabs can go for sleeping (they are nocturnal and should be allowed to sleep in peace.) This can be in a thick planting, box with a small hole, etc.

My torts occasionally gnaw on the crab's shells, so toss a few empties in as well- both for the torts to chew and the crabs to take over.

As for exposed, shell-less crabs- see point 3. They know they are vulnerable and will try to hide as much as they can.

I occasionally toss some pellets in the crab shelter area to make sure they have enough- but they don't need pellets any more than torts do.

Status
Not open for further replies.