Hermit Crabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hagerstown, MD
So I'm going to try to keep 2 hermit crabs in with my tortoise. Hopefully they will clean the enclosure of any food Isaac has dropped, poop, and any other organic material that could mold or stink up over time. I know Isaac is a sulcata but his enclosure is basically a redfoot or box turtle enclosure right now while he is vulnerable to pyramiding. The enclosure is very humid and has the ideal substrate for hermit crabs. I have moved anything that would make them capable to climb out on and added a small hide that Isaac cant fit into for them. I also added a water bowl with a sponge.

The two hermit crabs are small and very fast. They have done their best to keep clear of the tortoise. I know keeping two species together can be wrong but I am testing this thing out to see if a symbiotic relationship is possible. Right now the enclosure is perfect for the two species. I will update later.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I tryed this and it worked well until hermits out grow their shells and went looking for new shells. Then my redfoots had a snack. Now these were young adult torts so it may work with juveniles.

S

Scooter

Some might disagree with me but I think its ok to mix animals of different scientific classes and above together. As long as their habitat requirements are the same. You see this in zoos a lot. So as long as the habitat requirements for both are met and one is not aggressive to the other than I see no problem with mixing them.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
I wouldnt have if Sulcatas were omnivores.

Here is the set-up. This shows their hide and how they can climb up on top of Isaac's hide where their water and extra food is.
339344815237_0_0.jpg

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
That's really cool, let us know how it goes. I'm sure Herman would bite at them and I would be afraid he would break the shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.