Herp Hobby Shop Tampa

Turbotort

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hey everyone!

I am looking to get a redfoot tort in a couple months. I have been looking around and found this place locally. The owner stated he incubates eggs and a lady named Christine comes and takes them for a while to start them. So I'm curious if this lady is a member! The conditions they are kept in at the shop are not ideal. They are very dry. They look good now but that's probably because of Christine. In 2 months I may not want to get these guys if they stay dehydrated for that long. The yellow foot looks bad. Here are some pics. Btw this is Tampa FL.

1459356298100.jpg 1459356316173.jpg 1459356331073.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You could humbly suggest they need a more humid environment, maybe even copy a portion of a care sheet and bring it to him. But don't come on too strong. That generally puts their back up.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The Tortoise in the third picture looks terrible in my honest opinion.

Turbotort

Florida
Yeah it's the yellowfoot. It's scutes are sunken in. It's a shame because the two redfoots seem healthy still but that won't last long.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Why not ask them to join the TFO as away to advertise their store ! It's free ! And they may learn some short cuts and info. Good luck !

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Sunken scutes like that on yellow foot hatchlings is extremely common. Given how many I have seen like that, I don't think it is indicative on its own of major health concerns. Is it possible some calcium powder was spilled on that shell? With the exception of the white deposits on the yellow foot, they actually look pretty good to me.

Turbotort

Florida
Yeah all the torts had calcium powder sprinkled on them. Just very dry. I was hoping that they would be kept better so I could just drive there and pick one up

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yeah all the torts had calcium powder sprinkled on them. Just very dry. I was hoping that they would be kept better so I could just drive there and pick one up
Tell them you will buy them as long as they keep them humid for the next couple of months. The sunken scutes on yellowfoot seems to be common of this species as a juvenile.

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
May I ask what causes the sunken scutes. I have a Aldabra that I am experiencing this issue with.

cupcake1674

We buy our redfoot babies from redfoot ranch. He's near Tampa. Super cool guy and great prices. Would you like his #?

cupcake1674

Yes it's redfootranch.com. We meet at Tampa repticon last November and bought Linus ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459631604.221847.jpg and we loved him so much we went to his place and bought Quickley a few months later. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459631738.144828.jpg
I'm sure we'll get more from him. Very nice people.

Turbotort

Florida
Yeah, I actually found a local person that is about 10 minutes from me. I am probably going to pick up a 6mo for $95. I am curious about this redfoot ranch person though.

Turbotort

Florida
Yes it's redfootranch.com. We meet at Tampa repticon last November and bought Linus View attachment 169258 and we loved him so much we went to his place and bought Quickley a few months later. View attachment 169259
I'm sure we'll get more from him. Very nice people.
Nice little tort! I made my first tort purchase at the tampa repticon in march of 2015 and it was disaster. Thanks bad info and bad vendor. But the person I found seems to have healthy torts so I'm looking forward to getting one in two weeks. :)