Hes here! But dirty water is a problem

typoon221

Hello all! Picked my baby horsefeild up today! He's great but the substrate I have "tortoise life Mediterranean" is damp which I believe it's meant to be. But he keeps climbing in his water bowl... and the water is dirty within an hour! Anyone else have this problem

In the image is Robin this was before I topped his water up

Attachments

• IMAG0035.jpg
    IMAG0035.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 62

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Encouraging a tortoise to eat its substrate to meet its calcium needs is a really bad idea. I highly recommend you remove that substrate right away to lessen the risk of impaction.

To answer your question: All tortoises track substrate into their bowls. Having a large enclosure and putting the water bowl in the middle will decrease the likelihood of him tracking the water. And while we are on the subject, that bowl is not so good either. The sides are too tall and steep. Its a tipping hazard. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate are much better for them.

I wonder what else the pet shop sold you…

Check these out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

typoon221

Hello, thank you for your reply. I will order a new bowl today as of course do not want him to tip over! What substrate would you recommend? I have cuttlefish in the viv and powder on his food soo I don't know why the shop sold me this one !!! I feel awful now :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You don't have to order the bowl, just go to a place where they sell plants and buy a plant saucer.

61dsI2UkSDL._SX522_.jpg

I like orchid bark or cypress mulch, but quite a few members here use coco coir for substrate.

Don't feel awful. You're here now, and looks like you're willing to listen to our advice and make changes. That's a good thing!!

typoon221

Fantastic I will order some new substrate today! It's just annoying as you should be able to trust reptile shops!!!! Thanks so much guys I just wanna give my guy the best life I can x

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I had success putting the water dish (a plant saucer like Yvonne showed you) off to the side and not in the middle.
I also had good results putting flat rocks around the water dish so they "wipe their feet" before getting to the water.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, pet/reptile shops are in business to sell things and make a profit. Most of the time they hire young people who really don't know much about reptile-keeping, plus they are supposed to sell you stuff. So they sell you the reptile/snake water bowl instead of telling you a plant saucer (which they don't sell) is safer. No big deal. That's what we're here for!

typoon221

Thanks so much I will get that sorted today and order some new substrate! Thanks so much really glad I found you guys x

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, thank you for your reply. What substrate would you recommend?

I recommend coco coir (also called "Eco-Earth" or "Bed-a-Beast") for babies and fine grade orchid bark for older ones. Its all in the care sheet that I linked for you.

You should not feel bad about this. Many people are mislead by pet store people who have good intentions, but are ignorant. I used to be one of those pet store people selling all the wrong stuff and giving all the wrong advice. I repeated what I was taught and what I read in books. I was ignorant. I didn't know any better. It took decades of experience, a lot of experimentation and trial and error, and input from many sources for me to figure out what I know now and put it all into practice. Back in "the old days" we had no internet to share info like this and learn, so you should be glad that you can benefit from the mistakes of those who came before you, instead of having to learn the hard way at your animals expense as so many of us had to.

Because or your willingness to learn and your desire to do your best for your new tortoise, your story is going to have a very long happy ending. :)

typoon221

I recommend coco coir (also called "Eco-Earth" or "Bed-a-Beast") for babies and fine grade orchid bark for older ones. Its all in the care sheet that I linked for you.

You should not feel bad about this. Many people are mislead by pet store people who have good intentions, but are ignorant. I used to be one of those pet store people selling all the wrong stuff and giving all the wrong advice. I repeated what I was taught and what I read in books. I was ignorant. I didn't know any better. It took decades of experience, a lot of experimentation and trial and error, and input from many sources for me to figure out what I know now and put it all into practice. Back in "the old days" we had no internet to share info like this and learn, so you should be glad that you can benefit from the mistakes of those who came before you, instead of having to learn the hard way at your animals expense as so many of us had to.

Because or your willingness to learn and your desire to do your best for your new tortoise, your story is going to have a very long happy ending. :)

Thanks!!! I've purchased a terra cotta dish I've attached a photo and have ordered the coco coir stuff I've ordered the bricks and loose form as wasn't sure if I added moisture to the brick form or not?

The loose form comes tomorrow so will take the old stuff out when it arrives !

Attachments

• IMAG0040.jpg
    IMAG0040.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Thanks!!! I've purchased a terra cotta dish I've attached a photo and have ordered the coco coir stuff I've ordered the bricks and loose form as wasn't sure if I added moisture to the brick form or not?

The loose form comes tomorrow so will take the old stuff out when it arrives !
Sounds great! You will make a very good tortoise daddy! :) You will add water to the coco coir to add some moisture and it will really expand once it's out of the package.

turdle yerdle

IL
I had the same problem with the substrate in the water ALL THE TIME I would have to constantly clean it all the time, So I did the same idea by putting rocks as a floor mat. You can also put slate or tile.