(Not a concern) Tortoise drags moss into water

The Reptile Country

Location (City and/or State)
TX
My Russian tortoise will often drag his sphagnum moss into his water bowl for no apparent reason. This is no concern, as I am of with refilling and re-adding his moss, I'm just wondering if you may have a fun explanation for his reasons. Personally, I believe it is some sort of enrichment, but it could be another survival tactic that he developed some time when he was younger. I would be curious to know your answers.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
If he eats it, it can cause an impaction.

The Reptile Country

TX
He doesn't eat it, fortunately, but he really only uses it for his hide, extra substrate, and for randomly putting it in his water bowl.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
He doesn't eat it, fortunately, but he really only uses it for his hide, extra substrate, and for randomly putting it in his water bowl.
Yeah, that little habit is cute. But moss if eatn 'can' cause an impaction. We always recommend that moss is not used in habitats, it's just better not too

Reactions: Ink

The Reptile Country

TX
Ok, thanks. I just wanted to make sure what he was doing was healthy (In any event that it wasn't healthy). Again, thanks for the info.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, moss is bad. It can tangle around necks and legs. Get eaten and can cause problems inside as well.
If you don't want to take our warnings then at least cut the moss into tiny pieces.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My Russian tortoise will often drag his sphagnum moss into his water bowl for no apparent reason. This is no concern, as I am of with refilling and re-adding his moss, I'm just wondering if you may have a fun explanation for his reasons. Personally, I believe it is some sort of enrichment, but it could be another survival tactic that he developed some time when he was younger. I would be curious to know your answers.
It just tangles around his legs, then he walks it thru his water dish

Mitortuga

Richardson
Could be it like toilet paper ☺️ just got stuck on his ? and well once there he puts to good use hiding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are a lot of old, out-dated, potentially dangerous tortoise practices that are still in use, and often recommended. Using moss in the enclosure is one of them. Using sand or soil for substrate is another. Old practices like these were the norm. Its what I was taught about tortoise care decades ago. Countless tortoises have died fro these these, and we do are best to try and prevent any more of these problems.

I'm sure you already know how to care for your tortoise, but you may find some new and useful info here too:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Could be it like toilet paper ☺️ just got stuck on his ? and well once there he puts to good use hiding.
Seriously though, do a quick forum search on moss.
See the issues others have had. Then you'll understand the responses better.
We're all just trying to help.
Orchid bark and coco coir are both better substitutes for a moist hide.

Attachments

• Internet_20210327_152507.jpeg
    Internet_20210327_152507.jpeg
    4.5 KB · Views: 7