HES LAID AN EGG!!!!!

katfinlou

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417649669.942132.jpg
Just to further confuse me my she/he tortoise has laid an egg while ive been out. Even my vet confirmed it was a male. Do boys lay eggs? I don't know what to do! I feel a bit like Alice in wonderland at the moment. Nothing ive read has prepared me for this!!!

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
View attachment 107785
Just to further confuse me my she/he tortoise has laid an egg while ive been out. Even my vet confirmed it was a male. Do boys lay eggs? I don't know what to do! I feel a bit like Alice in wonderland at the moment. Nothing ive read has prepared me for this!!!
Congratulations, bust out the pink cigars..... You have a girl

katfinlou

5 Year Member
So does this explain the going off food? What do I do with the egg? It's a week to the day my vet trimmed his/her beak and said that it was definitely a boy!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So does this explain the going off food? What do I do with the egg? It's a week to the day my vet trimmed his/her beak and said that it was definitely a boy!!

It could explain going off food. Has she been with any other tortoise in the last ohhhh five years let's go with.?

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Oh my goodness it's possible because the same man that got rid of this one also gave a definite male to someone else I know. Holy smokes what do I do now?

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Ive not for the first idea where to start with that im afraid. How long have I got to read up? It's still where she laid it at the moment

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Not only does he trim her beak off so bad that she looks like donatella Versace he also can't tell boy from girl!!! I dread to think what the huge long red thing is that she flashed me with! This all feels like a weird dream

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Omg you made my day! I am sure it wasn't funny for you but you have learned two things; 1 -you have a female, and 2 - you certainly do not have a reliable reptile vet. Unfortunately, there is just too few good reptile vets in the country and they can often be far and few in between . Take a little time and do some serious looking for someone reliable near you. Do not wait until a emergency happens. Be prepared for future problems. With a little luck you won't ever need a vet.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
I initially had an appt with the owner of the practise and experienced reptile keeper and vet, but had to cancel when I needed hospital treatment when my dog bit my finger...i made a new one but didn't get the expert, the receptionist said this guy would be fine and he seemed ok...now I know better and he won't get near any of my pets ever again!!

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Where do I find info on incubating? And what do I do until I can get one?

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If you don't want to stress about the egg offer it up for adoption to some one local. But be quick about it.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Not only does he trim her beak off so bad that she looks like donatella Versace he also can't tell boy from girl!!! I dread to think what the huge long red thing is that she flashed me with! This all feels like a weird dream

Are you saying your tort flashed you at some point????? Boy, am I confused! :p

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Absolutely!! This is what made me think it was a boy. And it was no small thing either, it was shockingly large for a tortoise!! I even googled male tortoise anatomy and saw exactly what I'd seen my herhim show me. And my vet examined herhis tail and said yes that's definitely male!! It's surreal. To say im stunned is an understatement. Anyway she's been in a homemade carrot soak for approx 1/2 of an hour voluntarily instead of trying to escape, she's soaked and drank to her hearts desire. I wonder if she lays any more during the night? I sat up all night with her and my poorly dog, looks like I will be doing the same tonight researching incubation!

katfinlou

5 Year Member
I know a woman who had one to hatch chicks so she will be my first port of call in the morning. Failing that there's AMAZON using some of the kids xmas money. But what do I do in the meantime...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Post a query in the "Breeding" section of the forum. That's where folks share a lot of incubation ideas and experience.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I wonder if your tortoise got accidentally exchanged for another tortoise at the vet????? Like newborn babies accidentally given to the wrong parents to take home?

For some reason I am thinking you are in the UK???