He's so sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
This morning I decided to get up bright and early to let my guy outside before the heat wave came. Well it's ten am and already 38 c and still going up. I brought him inside. He was out two hours. He is usually out longer but it's gettig way to hot and I have to run totown for a bit. Can't risk him being to hot even when he has shade he doesn't ever use it. He was eatingalot of grass as usuall but now he is inside he looks so sad. He walks right to a hiding place and has his head stuck in a little. He doesn eat the food I put out. He eventually will eat it just he silks for a few hours first. Is there anything I can do with his inside set up to make him happy with being indoors again.

Yes I know he should be outside. But I haven't yet had time to build a protection cage. Heat combined with the animals around here it's not worth losing him to let him be outside.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Snort. Hot in Ontario? It is nearly 100F /37.8C here in Omaha.

Can you set up a mister outside? Rain and water makes a big difference to their mood and temps.

As far as the inside home, if it is only an overnight or couple days thing, don't sweat it. If it is longer, then look for sheer size, lots of plants, and multiple hides.

The Library has some articles about this.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I really think you need to take the time and make something safe and get him out. He will be in all winter long. My leopard was outside every day last summer when he was only a few months old. We are in our 3 or 4 week of 90-100+ temps. 106 today with heat index. My leopard has been out every day, 9-10 am to 6-7 pm. They are from very warm temps. If you have enough shaded areas they will use it. When it is this hot, I go spray the enclosure 2 to 3 times while he is out and he has two water areas to get into and drink. I soak him every night that it is this hot. Get him outside.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Madkins007 said:

Can you set up a mister outside? Rain and water makes a big difference to their mood and temps.

As far as the inside home, if it is only an overnight or couple days thing, don't sweat it. If it is longer, then look for sheer size, lots of plants, and multiple hides.

lol yup thats why i love living here :D someone gets it XD

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Lol trust me it's hot it's a way different hot then most US states. Been to a bunch for military duty. Right now the reading on the news is 53 which is 127f. Imagine a basking spot lol holy.
I'm just getting enough Money to build a wire cover for him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
According to the weather, you are running temps the same as Illinois. However, you have a higher humidity. Perfect leopard weather. Get him out side. Four pieces of 2x6 or 3x6 , for sides a piece of plywood and chicken wire for the top, a couple plants in the sunny end, a water dish and maybe a half hour and poof a quick, simple, cheap, moveable outdoor temp enclosure.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think it's okay to have brought him in. He is small, which means the heat could quickly get to him, while your gone. I know how often a short quick trip to the store or whatever can turn into several hours being away. This kind of weather, it would not take much for a young tortoise to get on his back and die rather quickly out in the sun. Your also telling us, he has a habit to stay out in the sun, rather then spend time in the shade. This means if something like a roll/fall onto the back were to happen, odds would be he is in the sun. It's not like he hasn't already had some outside time. Let him pout and keep your piece of mind, bring him inside before you leave.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
With the tiny ones I think it is good to bring them in while you are gone. I always do. You say you have animals around too. Be sure when you do build your outside enclosure that you use something strong enough to keep animals out. We used hardware cloth for the top attached to a strong piece of wood frame. It is heavy enough that small animals and birds can't slip under it and get in.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I got back and let him out for a while but there is a severe storm coming and he was getting on edge. Really cool how he knows it's coming. He was all calm eating then boom wind picked up a bit and he went crazy trying to escape. That's a first kinda interesting. He never skips put on eating some grass lol

*Barracuda_50*

5 Year Member
Harrietta, MI
Its 102 here today/yesterday and few other days last week we had 108 with the heat index yes very humid been this way for weeks high temps humidty muggy, the grand kids go out early morn after the sun has come up even then its already into the 80's they spend a hour or 2 get enough sunshine and excersize and grazing time in then back into the house for the hottest part of the day and then once it starts to cool down around 7pm back out they go for the last bit of sunshine and grazing time befour going back into the house for the night. Its not just the heat thats bad its this no rain drought we have been going thru all summer long everything is crispy brown dead.. the only things greenish is part of the front yard i keep waterd to keep growing for the torts to graze, befour moving them to another part of the property to graze other weeds and such.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
*Barracuda_50* said:
Its 102 here today/yesterday and few other days last week we had 108 with the heat index yes very humid been this way for weeks high temps humidty muggy, the grand kids go out early morn after the sun has come up even then its already into the 80's they spend a hour or 2 get enough sunshine and excersize and grazing time in then back into the house for the hottest part of the day and then once it starts to cool down around 7pm back out they go for the last bit of sunshine and grazing time befour going back into the house for the night. Its not just the heat thats bad its this no rain drought we have been going thru all summer long everything is crispy brown dead.. the only things greenish is part of the front yard i keep waterd to keep growing for the torts to graze, befour moving them to another part of the property to graze other weeds and such.

I believe Im only 5 or 6 hours from you. We are getting rain just fine up here haha

abbyroselew

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:

oh, you are in omaha too? i keep my tortoise inside all year round, just with uv bulbs but i do let her outside to enjoy the plants. that's good advice about the misters. thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.