Status
Not open for further replies.

Teiko's Mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest FL
Hi,
My son and I have just bought from a private breeder our first Leopard Tortoise hatchling, about 5 weeks old. Sooo cute and tiny. Seems active and healthy, has eaten a few bits of hibiscus and st. augustine grass . We named him/her? Teiko...it's an African name. I am trying to figure out the best substrate..seems everyone has a different opinion. I'm leaning towards cypress mulch? What does everyone else use and why? Thanks.....Linda

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
congrats on the new addition to your family and welcome to tortoiseforum.org! i think the most popular substrate is a coconut coir/playsand mixture but that might be because those are both relatively easy to find. i haven't used cypress but others will be able to weigh in on that...

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum Linda :) I've never used Cypress mulch, so not going to be any help there either. :p I would use either soil or shredded aspen bedding.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Linda: Welcome to the forum. You live in a really great state for plants and animals...I envy you!

Quite a few tortoise keepers use coconut coir mixed half and half with either playsand or top soil. You can buy the coconut coir at any plant nursery, or at a pet store where it is sometimes called Bed-A-Beast. It comes in a compressed brick and you have to soak it in a 5 gallon bucket of water. After it falls apart you drain off the water and mix it with the sand.

Yvonne

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
hi and welcome to the forum.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.