Hi folks

Steve in TX

Location (City and/or State)
Justin, TX
Hi folks,

Just a simple introduction. I'm married to my sweetheart, I'm 55, live north of Ft. Worth in Texas, and rescue box turtles and tortoises from streets, highways, coowrkers and friends. I keep them until they're happy and healthy and then find new quality homes for them or re-introduce them back into extremely rural settings where they will live and prosper, safe from trucks and streets.

I do keep a couple as my buddies, like the little russian lass you see in my avatar and also a spectacular ornate box female. My history goes back 48 years looking after turtles with my first being a three toed hatchling I named Timmy. We had a great time for about two and a half years until sadly, a $%^& racoon ate him. Every since then I've looked after them whenever I've found them, I guess because I feel guilty about not protecting my first turtle.

On to happier things though, I live a great life, my kids are all grown up and I'm married to the most precious woman I've ever met. She even stops and picks up turtles off the roadways for me to rehome, =)

-Steve-

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Steve, and welcome to the Forum!

I don't know about the laws in Texas, but here in California it's against the law to release turtles and tortoises that have been in captivity. So be careful with that.

Steve in TX

Justin, TX
Captive box turtles I rehome to responsible owners, and the wild ones I pick up on the highways are given a once over for general health / injuries and then taken way out on a Texas wildlife preserve (LBJ Grasslands) and then released with minimal human contact from me. Wild should stay wild =)

I never find wild native tortoises but if I did they would be relocated away from Dallas Fort Worth as well. A tire is a tire and doesnt care about a turtle.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and welcome to the forum.