Hi from the UK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birchie

5 Year Member
Hi Guys,

I posted about a sad tortoise and was asked for some pics. So here goes... This is Norma (was Norman until last Septembers trip to the vet!). We think she is 18-24 months old.

photo (9).JPGphoto (10).JPG

She is a much loved class pet in a challenging school. She lives in her viv mostly through the winter as the temp in school drops during the evening and weekends. Our caretaker has made her a table and is in the process of setting up lights and lamps so she can spend the summer term and warmer weather in here. The children have been growing weeds in shallow trays to put in with her and they have been designing different ideas to make her table more tortoise friendly - different substrates, digging materials.

photo (11).JPGphoto (12).JPG

Each September the new class spends half a term researching tortoises and their care and the special needs children arrange and take her to the vet for a check up. They take her outside at lunch time and allow her to roam on the field. They are careful not to over handle and are very possesive!

They feed her mainly on weeds, grown in school or picked from the school allotment (organic). She also has some of the complete food every 3 or 4 days and they give her a warm bath on a Friday during their earned golden time.

On the whole she seems a very contented tortoise :) We are still having issues with her viv temperatures as they are easily effected by the heating/or lack of in school. We had issues with her timer last week which I think has meant a little over heating as she is peeling around the face - we have been bathing her every few days and also supplemented her greens with a few water based leaves to get her right. After talking to a fellow tortoise owner we are looking at a thermostate to regulate the day and night temperatures.

Would be lovely to get any advice, feedback!

xxx

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Judy:

The sides of the habitat look a bit short to me. And your tortoise needs a nice hiding place in which to feel safe. Otherwise, its a great-looking habitat

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Birchie

5 Year Member
Thanks for your feedback. We had the same feeling about the sides but at the same time didnt want it to feel closed in! Will investigate possibly adding some hatching to the top. When she goes in their currently we move her furniture from the viv - house, logs, water, stone etc.

We are hoping the kids will build a 'house' for her during a DT project. They have been searching the tortoise tables on ebay to get some ideas!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Instead of making the walls taller, you can figure out how to "cap" them. An over-laying piece blocks climbing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME :D. I love the idea of the work you have the kids do to research care, feeding and to grow food for the tort and to help build things. that's great:D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm a UK school governor and this project fascinates me :)

I agree that an overhang will prevent escape without making the sides too high

Birchie

5 Year Member
Thanks for all your positive feedback. She really is an integral part of the school and the children adore her! We have found some of the more challenging pupils with no sense of self respect or care for others have such a gentle touch with her.

We are really excited about the potential of her table and have the caretaker building lamp/light stand ASAP so she can move out for the days!

One observation is that she has quite a bumpy shell (not smooth). We have read that this is due to growing too quickly but she has had these since we have had her, to confuse matters even more the vets check up in September said she was too small to hibernate! Any advice would be great :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Unfortunately shell deformities don't grow out. They become less obvious as they get bigger, but they never go away. If she's on the correct diet they should not get any worse. The pyramidding isn't too bad.

She doesn't have to be hibernated. Many keepers never hibernate.

Status
Not open for further replies.