Hi....great sadness

Maryfrances

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello all,
I've come here looking for some answers. My beautiful red footed female tortoise died a week ago today. I rescued her 6 years ago from a 12by 24 inch aquarium. Her name was Carly and I loved her so. She had a beautiful outdoor pen, fed the best soaks fresh water food pets and love everyday. She was fine at 9 am....my son called frantic at 11:30 am Carly was on her back he picked her up and tried to resuscitate her.....I sped home....Her front legs swollen eyes mostly closed area of rectum swollen I did everything I could think of to save her....I am just heart broken. She would come when I called her. Well I got brave enough to ask......what could have happened???I will check to see if anyone responds....but I go to work soon. I live in SW Florida. She had terrible pyramidng from prior abuse and although her hind legs moved she could not stand on her hind legs.....moved everywhere using front legs and pushed with back legs....I am just heartbroken. Thank you for any help.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I’m so sorry for your loss. That sounds terrible!
Sounds like she had some pretty bad metabolic bones disease from the previous owners if the legs were like that. That could have been a factor, but I’m no expert, so get a second opinion on that.

Could she have overheated? When tortoises flip, they are very easily dehydrated because the pee out all of their water, and since she was so pyramided, it was likely hard for her to flip back over.
How hot was it?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ogh my gosh, so very sorry to hear this very tragic news.

I see u are in Florida, did Carly flipover and stay on his back in full sunshine for those hours?

Sorry again..

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'm so sorry for your loss. Hugs!!

Since your son found Carly on her back, it's possible she accidentally flipped. They can suffocate and dehydrate quickly on their backs. I wouldn't want you to blame yourself. That could happen to anyone despite very good care.

Again, I'm so sorry.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am so very sorry. My best guess is she died from being on her back. They get dehydrated, over heat and organs can shift and get crushed. They don't usually survive if on their backs too long in the heat.
Best you can do now is know you rescued her from a horrible life and gave her a good one.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am so sorry. :( The loss of a pet is always difficult; when it's one that has a fair chance of outliving you it is even worse. Big electronic hugs from me.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Sorry for the loss of your tort, this can happen to anyone and you shouldn't blame yourself. It sounds like you have gave her several wonderful years of care and love.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How did she get on her back? Was she in full sun, or shade?

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I'm so sorry for your loss. That is great that you rescued her and gave her a better life.

Maryfrances

Florida
I'm so sorry for your loss. That is great that you rescued her and gave her a better life.
Thank you all for your care and concern I will answer everyone when I get off work....She was in shade for no more than 1.5 hours again...Thank you all

Maryfrances

Florida
I am so very sorry. My best guess is she died from being on her back. They get dehydrated, over heat and organs can shift and get crushed. They don't usually survive if on their backs too long in the heat.
Best you can do now is know you rescued her from a horrible life and gave her a good one.

Maryfrances

Florida
I’m so sorry for your loss. That sounds terrible!
Sounds like she had some pretty bad metabolic bones disease from the previous owners if the legs were like that. That could have been a factor, but I’m no expert, so get a second opinion on that.

Could she have overheated? When tortoises flip, they are very easily dehydrated because the pee out all of their water, and since she was so pyramided, it was likely hard for her to flip back over.
How hot was it?

Maryfrances

Florida
I just want to thank you so much. It was really not a hot day here, maybe 75 and her home was under a huge tree...She was in the shade. My son was mowing the lawn and she would always come out from the grass or a biddy hole to see him. I never realized the depth of love one could feel for a turtle....I've had animals all my life. Again the kindness of your reply means so much.