Hi, I'm new. Nice to meet you! Newbie Questions...

Bager

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle area, Washington
Hi guys, its nice to meet you. My name is Xavier, I'm a new member. Right now I'm currently working on adopting my first tortoise! I have had a turtle and other animals pets (currently a mini dachshund now) but having a tortoise has been a goal. I've been doing a lot of research for awhile now and I believe I'll be going for a Russian Tortoise ^^
I believe I'll be keeping him inside, or at least until summer. My family moves around somewhat often so having a nicer indoor enclosure in a must. Oh yes, I have some questions though. What are your suggestions on an indoor enclosure? I was wondering if I could make it have two levels? With a long, less steep ramp so it wouldn't be to challenging for him to climb up. Would that be possible? And also, truthfully how well do your tortoises do with travel? Not that I plan to take a two week road trip, just curious. I heard some people say it depends on your tortoises personality, some will do better with traveling than others. Well, thank you.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions for a soon-to-be first time tortoise owner please feel free to post or message them. All are appreciated.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi guys, its nice to meet you. My name is Xavier, I'm a new member. Right now I'm currently working on adopting my first tortoise! I have had a turtle and other animals pets (currently a mini dachshund now) but having a tortoise has been a goal. I've been doing a lot of research for awhile now and I believe I'll be going for a Russian Tortoise ^^
I believe I'll be keeping him inside, or at least until summer. My family moves around somewhat often so having a nicer indoor enclosure in a must. Oh yes, I have some questions though. What are your suggestions on an indoor enclosure? I was wondering if I could make it have two levels? With a long, less steep ramp so it wouldn't be to challenging for him to climb up. Would that be possible? And also, truthfully how well do your tortoises do with travel? Not that I plan to take a two week road trip, just curious. I heard some people say it depends on your tortoises personality, some will do better with traveling than others. Well, thank you.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions for a soon-to-be first time tortoise owner please feel free to post or message them. All are appreciated.

Welcome.....tortoise generally are creatures of habit...so travel is usually not a good thing for this type of animal.....also, this is a species that naturally brumates...so you will want to be sure you are prepared to handle that when it rears its head (so to speak)....

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Xavier welcome to the TFO from AZ. Do your reserch . But have a great tort day !

Bager

Seattle area, Washington
Welcome.....tortoise generally are creatures of habit...so travel is usually not a good thing for this type of animal.....also, this is a species that naturally brumates...so you will want to be sure you are prepared to handle that when it rears its head (so to speak)....

Yes, that's what I've been reading online about travel. Thank you! I know, I've been read very much on that. It makes me a little nervous but then again, I think almost everyone is when it comes to a new pet. I will be sure to continue to study up as much as I can on brumation. Thank you.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have you here! ! !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Xavier!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. I love Dachshunds. I had a Dachshund for 15 years. I also love Russian tortoises and have quite a few. My females laid many eggs this year and I hatched 33 Russian hatchlings.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I don't have a ramp in our enclosure but I think most folks here comment that you have to be careful it has sides on it so they don't fall off. I have found if a tort can tear it up, they will. So just keep that in mind also.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Hi
Just a few tips that might add to all the great examples here of indoor enclosures.

- an old bookcase can work. Take out shelves and lay on its back. Might need plywood bottom of back is flimsy. You can then put legs on with 2x4's and make your tort table.
- cover top with sheet of plexiglass. If you do it this way you'll need to have holes cut in top for a UVB light. It so t go through the plexiglass.
- all torts can be climbers. Guard against anything they can fall off of or climb up on and flip over.
-

Alaskamike

South Florida
One other thing ...
Better to have some one take care of tort at home while you travel. They would not do well on a road trip. Too much confusion and change.
These are extreme creatures of habit , change stresses them and makes them vulnerable to getting sick.
Good fortune to you :)

Bager

Seattle area, Washington
Welcome to the Forum. I love Dachshunds. I had a Dachshund for 15 years. I also love Russian tortoises and have quite a few. My females laid many eggs this year and I hatched 33 Russian hatchlings.

Thank you. I love them too! Mine's name is Ben. He's a short haired, black and brown one and is oddly small for his age as well... I can't wait to get a Russian Tortoise (I'm pretty sure that's the best species for me) too! Been looking at enclosures all day :D Wow, +33! Good luck :D Are they for sell by chance?

I don't have a ramp in our enclosure but I think most folks here comment that you have to be careful it has sides on it so they don't fall off. I have found if a tort can tear it up, they will. So just keep that in mind also.

Yes, rails. I'll be sure to add big, sturdy ones :D I'll have to figure something out about that ramp though... Thank you!

One other thing ...
Better to have some one take care of tort at home while you travel. They would not do well on a road trip. Too much confusion and change.
These are extreme creatures of habit , change stresses them and makes them vulnerable to getting sick.
Good fortune to you :)

Thank you very much for the exclosure tips and travel advice! It's very much appreciated :)

Bager

Seattle area, Washington

I mean if they are any still available. I was going to adopt one but my family and I have decided to build it's enclosure first and as I am unsure how long it will take to finished and gather materials I don't believe I'll be able to finish in time to adopt him since I don't know how much of a hurry she is trying to try and rehome. I don't want to keep him from someone else who can give him a good home sooner. Thank you!