Hi...still a newbie...baby has runny poop? Normal?

WarrenPeace

Location (City and/or State)
Hi. I attached a photo, but the past few days this is what it has looked like. I don't know if it is normal or not. I clean it with a paint brush then today it was like that again. It isn't crazy looking but I just don't know if it's normal. I thought they had hard poops.

I've been feeding
Spring mix
Leaves of Sharon leaves
A few rose pettles
Grass( he doesn't eat much of it..it's always left over)

It's soaked daily about 30 min in warm water
Humidity on the high side of the tank is 85 low side is 69 ..low side temp is 75 high side is 95

I got a Humidity rock hide out it goes in there often. It it too cold..too hot...🤯 I wish it could speak to me lol.

Other than the poop it's doing great. It's active not listless...there is no saggy way..it's perky and isn't dragging is belly when it walks.

I just want to be sure it's ok..it may be normal.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1698677273074.jpg
    FB_IMG_1698677273074.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 2

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Probably needs a bit more fiber in the diet. A little less spring mix, and more of the leaves and flowers. You can cut up grass with scissors into very small pieces and wet the food so the grass sticks. See if anyone in your neighborhood has a mulberry tree. Those leaves are good to feed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, temps day and night should never go below 80. The basking area with a incandescent flood bulb should be 95-100. The rest of the enclosure should be 80-85 day and night.
Like Yvonne said, get more fiber and more variety.

WarrenPeace

I live on a farm and do plant a variety..next year I'll cater to this guy but can you recommend anything else I can incorporate? I have also read about people buying Timothy hay? I have a plant identification app too if I need to figure out every tree I have lol.

WarrenPeace

Also, temps day and night should never go below 80. The basking area with a incandescent flood bulb should be 95-100. The rest of the enclosure should be 80-85 day and night.
The odd part is I have 4 thermometers 2 on each side of the bottom and two each side.of the top...on the hotter side the top reads 90 consistently but the bottom varies alot.

WarrenPeace

Incandescent is better than mercy?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Incandescent is better than mercy?
Yes. The mercury, in the beginning, was the best bulb, we all thought. It actually is too harsh on them and will cause pyramiding even with the high humidity.
The best for hatchlings is a tube florescent uvb, incandescent flood (not spot) bulb and ceramic heat emitters for added day heat and night heat.
For adults, the ceramic heat emitter should be switched to an oil filled radiator heater, radiant heat panel or pig blankets.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The odd part is I have 4 thermometers 2 on each side of the bottom and two each side.of the top...on the hotter side the top reads 90 consistently but the bottom varies alot.
Heat rises,so it will always be hotter towards the top. You need to monitor the lower temps, tortoise height. Those are the temps he's living in and needs to be correct
Be sure to have 80% humidity and the best and cheapest way to get the correct steady temps and humidity is with a closed chamber enclosure until he is big enough to live outside, at about 10 inches head to tail of the bottom shell and usually around two maybe three years old.