Hi. Time to stop lurking.

DGerr

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Hello.
I have been reading the forums for a few months and decided its time to come out and say hi.
I found the forum when i decided to become a tortoise owner again. We had a California Desert Tort growing up.
When I started my hunt i decided that I didn't want a hatchling. I ended up getting a 10 inch male.
He is great besides having MBD I think. Poor guy. At first i thought it was just pyramiding but after more searching I found pics that look like him. He seems fine in every way except his shell is funky. He is still beautiful to me. :)
Well I couldn't have just one so then I found Maya. A sweet 5 inch little tort. The person I got her from said he thinks she is a female so were going with that. When should I be able to tell for sure? Doesn't matter either way.
We are so happy with our new family members.
Happy to be able to come here for the wealth of knowledge of all the folks here.

Edgar.JPG
This is Edgar and his funky shell.

Maya.JPG Little Maya

Edgar&Maya.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Welcome to you Edgar and Maya you've probably already found all the useful info threads Species Specific Caresheet, Beginners Mistakes and Enclosures etc so read search and ask as many questions as needed someone will soon jump in to help.

Keep a close eye on them when they are together though because torts don't do well in pairs and the dominant one - most likely Edgar - could very subtly bully Maya. They may look as if they are playing or being affectionate but they don't do that. Edgar may just follow Maya around so watch closely as he could be harassing her which will stress her out and cause illness if she doesn't have her own space to get away to. There is a thread about it somewhere.

Aplolgies if you already know this but some people do buy two to have company which torts don't like, but good luck with them anyway.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Both tortoises are just beautiful! I love the lighter colored leopards like yours.

DGerr

San Diego, CA
Thank you. I just put her in for a photo opp. They are housed separately.
Guess I should have stated that.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you. I just put her in for a photo opp. They are housed separately.
Guess I should have stated that.
Edgar is only slightly smaller than my Leopard, Lola They do have lovely shells.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Lola is a Very pretty girl.
Thank you but turns out she's a he just like in the Kinks song so kept the name It s a bit confusing and doesn't do his street cred any good but not gotten around to thinking of another yet, :confused:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, Edgar and Maya.
I think you're right, Edgar is very unique and beautiful and Maya is gorgeous too.
Don't worry about lurking, I like to lurk.
Lots of nice lurkers here.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. I have a Leopard just like yours. Are they just beautiful??