Hi! Very new RT "mom"

Tanha

Location (City and/or State)
PA, USA
Hello! I'm so excited to have found this forum! I rescued a Russian tortoise off of a Facebook garage sale site yesterday and am taking a crash course in all things tortoise. There are so many conflicting pages! Anyway, I'm Tanha and my new friend is Harriet. I don't know how old she is, they thought around 4 years. She's 6 inches long. She's a real sweetie!

How does she look to you all?

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I bet it's older than 4 years. Mostly adult animals seem to be imported.
It could use a beak trim but doesn't look too bad. Give it a soak and follow all the info in the forum.
Good save.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tanha and welcome to the forum!

I'd guess this tortoise is about 15 or 20 years old, certainly full grown, and probably not going to get any bigger.

Take her to the vet and ask them to trim her beak, and after that, don't cut up her food. Make her bite off plants growing in the ground and weeds and grasses. Biting keeps the beak trimmed.

Tanha

PA, USA
Hi Tanha and welcome to the forum!

I'd guess this tortoise is about 15 or 20 years old, certainly full grown, and probably not going to get any bigger.

Take her to the vet and ask them to trim her beak, and after that, don't cut up her food. Make her bite off plants growing in the ground and weeds and grasses. Biting keeps the beak trimmed.

Oh wow! I didn't think she was that old! I made an appointment for Monday. She will be getting a beak trim and a look over by someone who actually knows about tortoises, unlike myself. Lol. I'm glad I came here, I would have never known to trim her beak. I'm sure she thanks you all too!