Hibernating

badria gates

5 Year Member
Hello, I have just joined this group. I have a three year old horsefield tortoise who has not as yet hibernated. I would appreciate views on whether or not to hibernate and some tips. He lives in the conservatory during the summer and in winter I bring him into the house (obviously in a purpose built run). His name is Jonathan. Thank you, Badria.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I usually wait until they're 3 before I allow them to hibernate, so he's at the age, if you want to do it. He has to start cooling down, and his days have to become shorter. So turn the lights off giving him only an 8 hour day, and move the lights up so its not as warm in the purpose built run. He should stop eating on his own. They clean out their system for about 2 or 3 weeks prior to actually going to sleep. Once he's ready, you can box him up in a cardboard box of shredded paper and place the box in a quiet place that will stay below 50 and above 40. Quite a few folks in the UK hibernate in a refrigerator:

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/Refrigerator.htm

badria gates

5 Year Member
Thank you Yvonne, I find the whole thing rather nerve racking. Some people say no need to hybernate. If I choose not to do I just keep getting him out under lamp and offering food?