hibernation help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMA-tortoise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i looked at alot of articles on the internet about hibernation but im still kind of confused.

i have a 1 year and 1 month hermans tortoise and i was wondering what age should you start hibernating them and how would you hibernate them i live in canada and i read that temperature should be between 2 - 7 degrees but i don't know what i could do to get those temperature i guess i could buy a mini fridge but im still kind of confused about all of it information would be appreciated

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi,
You can hibernate any hibernating tortoise from their first winter onwards. :D
A mini fridge would work just fine for hibernating. :D
It would probably help if you had more specific questions about the things your not to sure of. :D

Danny

MMA-tortoise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Hi,
You can hibernate any hibernating tortoise from their first winter onwards. :D
A mini fridge would work just fine for hibernating. :D
It would probably help if you had more specific questions about the things your not to sure of. :D

Danny

im just like sort of not sure about everything lol like is there any videos of people hibernating there tortoise so i know exactly what to do?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I dont know if he is right, but my vet told me to not make Hermy hibernate unless I know how to do it 100%. He told me it could be dangerous for Her. So be sure to know all the steps.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If your interested in hibernating inside a refrigerator, Shelly Jones has a pretty detailed write up on how she did with her first Russians. Would you like the addy for it?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Jacqui said:
If your interested in hibernating inside a refrigerator, Shelly Jones has a pretty detailed write up on how she did with her first Russians. Would you like the addy for it?

Jacqui

Me too I would love it please? I would love to know the steps :D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
No trouble. Hope it gives you all some ideas. I like this method (if you choose to hibernate) because you can check on how the animal is doing and bring them out of it, if something starts going wrong.

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
My hermann's hibernated last winter. I raise him outdoor here in SF bay area and there was nothing that I did special for him to hibernate. Once the temperature got cooler in late Oct/early Nov, he ate less and less and one afternoon he dug a hole, not too deep, probably about only few inches, and hibernated there until early March. Winter here is not that cold, probably just low 30s F so if you live in a colder climate your tortoise will dig much deeper.

I strongly believe that tortoises, just like other animals, have great instinct so I don't really need to force them anything like forced-hibernation inside a refrigerator.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
agiletorts said:
I strongly believe that tortoises, just like other animals, have great instinct so I don't really need to force them anything like forced-hibernation inside a refrigerator.

I don't think the term "forced" is truly often accurate. Most of the time, these animals naturally are slowing down any how. They are doing what comes naturally with eating less, ect.., We are just giving them an alternative location to safely have their hibernation.

I live in Nebraska and allow my native animals to hibernate naturally out in their pens. If I lived in a climate such as your, I might be allowing other species to stay outside during the winter.

Winter to me means days of temps below zero and mine normally are down from early October to May. So much colder temps and a longer period of time to deal with here. Plus ours have to deal with fake warm ups (days where it may be in the 70-80s for several days then have a sudden cold freeze drop on us). The only dead during the winter I had was from two young ornate box turtles, who came out during a warm snap and never realized they needed to get back down when the cold came back with a vengeance. I also fail them, because it never dawned on me to check their pen.

One of my personal favorite things about the refrig situation, is you can control how long you do it for. If your starting out with a really young animal for instance you can bring them out sooner. Or if your tort suddenly has a weight change. What if for some reason your family is forced to move unexpectedly and quickly?

It's also a nice bridge gap for those folks who want to hibernate their animal thinking it's for the animal's best interest (or the animal is "pleading" to hibernate as shown by it's behavior), yet are afraid to allow them to hibernate, or to leave the control totally up to the unpredictable weather, or simply not wanting to lose the companionship of their tort for so long.

hetivernon

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
england
hi!
i was going to come and ask about hibernation so this thread is great!

my question: we have two 8month greek babies and we were unsure as to whether it is vital to hibernate them or if it is a choice. if it is a choice we would rather not as we are nervous about the high fatality rates during hibernation plus we would miss them lots!

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks
xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.