Hibernation Oozing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merrit321

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chalmette, LA
Thank you :d And I'll try to find a mini-usb to usb cable so I can upload some pics from a camera my step-brother recently gave me.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Great, we would love to see pictures! :D

Merrit321

5 Year Member
Chalmette, LA
Katie, the pics have been taken and posted in the Enclosures section in case you're wondering :D

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Meritt, your little tortoise is very lucky to have someone who cares about him like you do, You are doing a very good job! :D

Merrit321

5 Year Member
Chalmette, LA
Thanks :D My sister has a doctor's appointment at 2:00 but she said when she gets out, she'll bring me to PetCo to get a new bulb. I decided that as long as I have the money for it, I'll get the UVB.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Merrit321 said:
Katie, the pics have been taken and posted in the Enclosures section in case you're wondering :D

Thanks!

Isa said:
Meritt, your little tortoise is very lucky to have someone who cares about him like you do, You are doing a very good job! :D

I agree!!

Sudhira

5 Year Member
I like the UVB light because I am also providing not only the UVB capability BUT the warmth as well. It makes sense to me,and I feel as though I am providing the best environment I can, not just "meets standard"...IMHO

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Can you... maybe... let me know what that standard is.

I provide an environment for my tortoises to where they thrive. I do not currently use UVB lamps.

All I can offer is my experience. Whether the advice is taken makes no difference to me.

Sudhira said:
I like the UVB light because I am also providing not only the UVB capability BUT the warmth as well. It makes sense to me,and I feel as though I am providing the best environment I can, not just "meets standard"...IMHO

Merrit321

5 Year Member
Chalmette, LA
Well, is your environment outdoor? If it is, the whole point of a UVB bulb is to replace the sun and its emitted vitamins. If the torts are exposed to the sun, there is no need for more UVB.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
"Well", if my environment was outdoors, I would still need a heat source, as the weather here is on the cooler side. Obviously I would not use UVB light if the enclosure was outdoors.

Merrit321

5 Year Member
Chalmette, LA
Exactly. And -EJ, The standard would be without UVB. It is not wrong or bad but ,as with anything, it can be improved.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
Hmm no, I feel no UVB light would be below standard, or barely meets standard...but, that is how I feel...

Merrit321

5 Year Member
Chalmette, LA
That's how many feel, making this a largely debated topic. That's why I'm trying to say a tort can go with or without. It will not hurt to not have it, but it will benefit. Strictly your choice.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
You are learning pretty fast Merrit :D good job! But remember that a lot of people believe that it can hurt a tortoise to live without UVB or sun all his life (I am part of them :D)

Merrit321

5 Year Member
Chalmette, LA
Yes, but that is why you make an outdoor pin during the warm season. I'm saying if you do a system where they are outdoors about half the year, than UVB bulbs are not required while they are indoor.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I wish I would live in California, that way Hermy could be outside all year long :D! I am sorry I did not know you meant if the tortoise lives outside a part of the year. By the way do you have any pics of Zeus and Orion, It would be nice to see all the members of your reptile family :D

Merrit321

5 Year Member
Chalmette, LA
Umm, I can grab some real quick :D Some may ask why I bought two males, but I thought Orion was a female, until they were about 6 months old and started fighting. I know their cages are messy. Today is cleaning day. Orion is quite the little poop machine.

Zeus:
P7190153.jpg

Orion:
P7190154.jpg

I'll take some better pics later and post them in the other pets section.

Status
Not open for further replies.