Hibernation positions

easyreiter

5 Year Member
My Leeroy has been asleep for a month now and is seriously sleeping standing up against the corner of his house, on his two hind legs. What do you guys think of this? I moved him once but he's just back to standing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think you should get a pic. That seems very strange. I don't brumate, so I can't really help you on if this is okay or a sign of a problem, but am curious to know what the experienced say.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Wow! I'd love to see a picture. My two DTs have been down for 3 weeks and they're each tucked in their shells, in little corner pallets they dug in the orchid bark in their boxes.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If he is sound asleep then he should be fine....after all ...they all do it with their own style....

You have checked him entirely to make sure no critters are in bugging him right? I mean perhaps no need for this concern but just a suggestion....

How old is the tort...has it ever been in the wild that you know of?

I did have a situation with Ghamara (one of the male CDTs here)...the very first winter he was here he went down in the man made burrow to sleep and while this was happening it began to rain crazy like and his man made hole was filling up fast with water--so before I raced home and found that I had initially selected a horrid place for his yard --right in the path of a water way that developed with unusual downpour here, he had apparently positioned himself in the corner furthest from the opening and propped himself vertical in that corner...he was resting on the rump of his shell and braced there by his chunky little legs......but he was like that in my assumption because of the rain---but now that you mention the tort in your care, perhaps Ghamara was already in the position and I just assumed the rising water made him move to that position????hmmmm? One of these days i will figure a successful way to have a camera down in a natural dug burrow for one of these guys....:D

easyreiter

5 Year Member
He must have heard me talking about him cus he moved back on his belly. He's believed to be about two years old, his past is unknown, I got him from a girl who had him in water in a bucket.

This is a pic I have from the summer

Hmmm I'm hitting upload and nothing is happening, hold please!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I got him from a girl who had him in water in a bucket.

Ahhhh haaaaa....that is it, he is living a "I am in a bucket of water, help" flashback.....he must have been dreaming ;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
ascott said:

Ahhhh haaaaa....that is it, he is living a "I am in a bucket of water, help" flashback.....he must have been dreaming ;)

Hahaha, I think this is the answer:D

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
ascott said:

Hahaha. Poor boy was having a brumation nightmare.

easyreiter

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Excellent observation. Poor baby. Traumatized from his bucket days. Bless his little baby Leeroy heart.

Oh my goodness you people make me smile!!! :)