Hibernation?

vlad21

My little one has been doing nothing but sleeping. I made the decision to just let her sleep and not try waking her up because I am only assuming that by nature, she's trying to hibernate. But she sleeps literally all day and does not come out from under her log. The few times I have taken her out she is active for a bit and then crawls under something else in the area she's walking around in and falls back asleep. She hasn't been eating much or really at all because she's asleep. Is it alright if I just allow her to sleep? Or should I be keeping her up?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Letting her sleep in an enclosure that is not the right temp causes them to burn too much energy without food. You can keep him awake by increasing the heat and leaving bright lights on for 14 hours per day. Wake him every day and soak him.
If you want to hibernate read up on the safe way to do it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
My little one has been doing nothing but sleeping. I made the decision to just let her sleep and not try waking her up because I am only assuming that by nature, she's trying to hibernate. But she sleeps literally all day and does not come out from under her log. The few times I have taken her out she is active for a bit and then crawls under something else in the area she's walking around in and falls back asleep. She hasn't been eating much or really at all because she's asleep. Is it alright if I just allow her to sleep? Or should I be keeping her up?

You've got to decide if you want to keep her up and get her awake and active, or if you want to let her hibernate correctly at the right temps. Either course will require you to take some steps.

Letting her sleep at room temps could end up being a death sentence.