Sleeping pattern

Mark Cassell

Hi all, I have a 8 month old horsfield tortoise and kept in a tortoise table that we built for her.
I work all day and she's asleep when I get home so she's only been getting a bath at weekends recently which is not good. I'm wondering if I could change the times she wakes up. She burrows under a brick and wakes up around 06:00 and sleeps from around 15:00.
Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
The sleeping hours sound normal.

You don't say what your working hours are, so what I suggest may not be practical.

Don't be afraid to haul your tort out for a soak first thing in the morning.

Build the soak into your "leaving for work" routine. Your tort can soak while you shower, have breakfast or make your packed lunch... and then go back in the enclosure with some food for the day ahead. It will soon get used to the routine :)

Mark Cassell

The sleeping hours sound normal.

You don't say what your working hours are, so what I suggest may not be practical.

Don't be afraid to haul your tort out for a soak first thing in the morning.

Build the soak into your "leaving for work" routine. Your tort can soak while you shower, have breakfast or make your packed lunch... and then go back in the enclosure with some food for the day ahead. It will soon get used to the routine :)
Hi thanks for your response, I leave for work at 06:00 hrs and I'm pretty much out the door straight away. I was thinking more like just changing the light timer.?

Mark Cassell

Also she has been staying in the upper section of her table where the light doesn't reach and she sits up there for ages when she wakes up and I'm just a bit worried she's to cold to walk down to the heat to warm up, so I've been moving her down. Not sure if I should just leave her to do what she wants.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
You have to work to what works with your routine.

Your tort needs the lights on for 12-14 hours. Just hauling your tort out under the basking lamp and leaving with food before you go will help.