Hibernation

kelly1

Hello , can anyone please advise me , my tortoises have both been in hibernation since Dec 15 th . Today they have moved in their box . They both still look asleep both have completely closed eyes . The temperature is the same . Should I now completely wake them up ? They are in a wooden box with hay in my garage it's about 5 degrees today which it's been for the past 10 days ?? Really worried as don't want them to die ??!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello , can anyone please advise me , my tortoises have both been in hibernation since Dec 15 th . Today they have moved in their box . They both still look asleep both have completely closed eyes . The temperature is the same . Should I now completely wake them up ? They are in a wooden box with hay in my garage it's about 5 degrees today which it's been for the past 10 days ?? Really worried as don't want them to die ??!!

Hi Kelly. We need more info.

What species? Where are you? What pre-hibernation prep did they undergo?

If your only question is should you wake them because they moved, the answer is no. Hibernating tortoise move from time to time.

In the future, I would house and hibernate them separately. Tortoises should not be kept in pairs.

kelly1

They are both Hermann . They did 6 week wind down with 4 weeks no food at all . They have lived together for past 6 years . I know it's not ideal but they have a very big summer pen and never seem bothered by each other . Next year will hibernate them separately though ! I was planning on getting them up in another 2 weeks as still growing their food !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
They are both Hermann . They did 6 week wind down with 4 weeks no food at all . They have lived together for past 6 years . I know it's not ideal but they have a very big summer pen and never seem bothered by each other . Next year will hibernate them separately though ! I was planning on getting them up in another 2 weeks as still growing their food !

Are they eastern or western hermanni?

Based on the info here, I would continue on with your hibernation without a worry, and begin your gradual warm up process as scheduled.

kelly1

I don't know if eastern or western , but thank you for your advice . I will keep them in hibernation and keep a very close eye on them !