Questions about hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
Hi from Alta Loma, California

I had to bring my adult Russian tortoises in from their outside hibernation area because of the horrible rain we have been having. The torotoises are over 20 years old and their previous owner let them hibernate in their outside enclosure so that is what I did not knowing that this was going to be such an awful rainy winter. My hubsband built them a nice hibernation house, however, only 1 of the 4 tortoises decided she wanted to hibernate in there. During the rain storms 2 came up out of the ground on their own and were just standing there looking around and one my husband found where the tortoise had dug up and was hiding under some leaves. I shredded newspaper up and put it in thick cardboard apple boxes. I set the boxes up on a table we have in the garage.

I was thinking about putting cypress mulch in the boxes instead of the torn upon newspapers. Which do you think would be the best? Also should each tort have their own box?

Also, since they are now in boxes in the garage and cannot get to their water source should I periodically take them out of the box and offer water, and if so how often?

I checked on them today and they opened their eyes when I picked them up talked to them and I do not see any puffy eyes, runny nose etc. Any advise would be appreciated.

Next year they are going to be hibernated in the garage as I was so depressed and sad when we could not find 3 of them right away to bring them in from the storms. I was so afraid that they would die.

Christmas Eve is my birthday - what a wonder gift to have all four of my tortoises safe in the garage.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

:D

Becki

5 Year Member
Albuquerque
I can't answer your questions about hibernation but I wanted to say Happy Birthday!!!!

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Keep them in individual boxes, keep them in the dark, Don't worry about the water, And make sure your garage is the proper temp range for them to hibernate.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
motero said:
Keep them in individual boxes, keep them in the dark, Don't worry about the water, And make sure your garage is the proper temp range for them to hibernate.

Thank you for your reply. Should I take the shredded newspaper out of the hibernation boxes and replace with cypress mulch instead?

Carol

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Happy Birthday Carol!! I am sure you will have some better answers tomorrow from some of the pros! I have 1 that should be hibernating, but he is not! Little stinker, I think he likes food too much! LOL!!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
If you plan to hibernate them inside (garage) it's very important to know what the temperature is going to be within a 24 hour period and over the course of the hibernation period. Most garages do not remain constant enough, or in many cases, cold enough, for tortoise hibernation. Due to temperature fluctuation when doors are open for extended periods, when the sun hits the building and warms it or at night when the temperatures drop well below daytime temperatures. For the tortoises to go into a immobile state (they don't actually hibernate) the temperatures within their hibernation container need to remain somewhere in the range of 38-45 degrees, most feel that 40 degrees is ideal. If they are exposed to warmer temperatures than that it will cause them to be progressively more active as the temperatures rise. Long term exposure to colder temperatures, at and below 32 degrees can cause physical damage to their internal organs, limbs and eyes.
Frequent and long term temperature fluctuations for a hibernating tortoise cause it to constantly have to readjust it's position within it's hibernation chamber. Hibernating tortoises dig deeper as they feel colder, come upward to the surface as they feel warmer. This activity causes them to deplete fat reserve intended to get them through a long hibernation. If hibernated too warm they may also continue normal body functions such as expelling wastes, especially urine. This will in turn cause dehydration.
A safer way to hibernate them indoors, whether in a garage, basement or other room in the house, would be to purchase a reliable used refrigerator, set the temperature at 40 degrees, add an open container of water to increase humidity somewhat and then let it cycle a few days to ensure that it's going to maintain the temperature that you want. Once that is satisfactory the tortoises can be placed in the refrigerator with in their hibernation boxes. This way, regardless of the temperatures inside the garage, the hibernation chamber (refrigerator) will maintain an even temperature throughout the tortoises hibernation period. They can be easily monitored this way and the length of hibernation can easily be controlled by you too.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
GBtortoises said:
If you plan to hibernate them inside (garage) it's very important to know what the temperature is going to be within a 24 hour period and over the course of the hibernation period. Most garages do not remain constant enough, or in many cases, cold enough, for tortoise hibernation. Due to temperature fluctuation when doors are open for extended periods, when the sun hits the building and warms it or at night when the temperatures drop well below daytime temperatures. For the tortoises to go into a immobile state (they don't actually hibernate) the temperatures within their hibernation container need to remain somewhere in the range of 38-45 degrees, most feel that 40 degrees is ideal. If they are exposed to warmer temperatures than that it will cause them to be progressively more active as the temperatures rise. Long term exposure to colder temperatures, at and below 32 degrees can cause physical damage to their internal organs, limbs and eyes.
Frequent and long term temperature fluctuations for a hibernating tortoise cause it to constantly have to readjust it's position within it's hibernation chamber. Hibernating tortoises dig deeper as they feel colder, come upward to the surface as they feel warmer. This activity causes them to deplete fat reserve intended to get them through a long hibernation. If hibernated too warm they may also continue normal body functions such as expelling wastes, especially urine. This will in turn cause dehydration.
A safer way to hibernate them indoors, whether in a garage, basement or other room in the house, would be to purchase a reliable used refrigerator, set the temperature at 40 degrees, add an open container of water to increase humidity somewhat and then let it cycle a few days to ensure that it's going to maintain the temperature that you want. Once that is satisfactory the tortoises can be placed in the refrigerator with in their hibernation boxes. This way, regardless of the temperatures inside the garage, the hibernation chamber (refrigerator) will maintain an even temperature throughout the tortoises hibernation period. They can be easily monitored this way and the length of hibernation can easily be controlled by you too.

Thank you very much for the information.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Carol:

You want your tortoises to be dry, so I would continue to use the shredded newspaper. The cypress mulch might retain a little moisture. I hibernate my Russian tortoises in boxes of shredded newspaper which are placed inside unplugged chest-type freezers. I place a pencil across one corner under the lid so it doesn't close all the way. The freezers are inside a vacant house on my property. Even though the temperature inside the house fluctuates a bit, it stays constant inside the freezers. You want the hibernating temperature to be between 40 and 50 degrees...not any colder and not any warmer.

(Take a look at this thread: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-December-24th-birthday )

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was all set to do a big answer for your questions, and then I saw what GB and Yvonne wrote. So nevermind.

Happy birthday and Merry Christmas.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
emysemys said:
Hi Carol:

You want your tortoises to be dry, so I would continue to use the shredded newspaper. The cypress mulch might retain a little moisture. I hibernate my Russian tortoises in boxes of shredded newspaper which are placed inside unplugged chest-type freezers. I place a pencil across one corner under the lid so it doesn't close all the way. The freezers are inside a vacant house on my property. Even though the temperature inside the house fluctuates a bit, it stays constant inside the freezers. You want the hibernating temperature to be between 40 and 50 degrees...not any colder and not any warmer.

(Take a look at this thread: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-December-24th-birthday )

Thank you for the information.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Tom said:
I was all set to do a big answer for your questions, and then I saw what GB and Yvonne wrote. So nevermind.

Happy birthday and Merry Christmas.

Thank you.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Status
Not open for further replies.