Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
GBtortoises said:
All I get when I click the link is a blank page(?)

Hm...it opens fine for me. I have it saved to "my documents". I'll see if I can attach it to an email for you.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
GBtortoises said:

Depending on your system security settings, you are probably getting a blank browser with 'about:blank' in the url line. Try right clicking the link, do a Save Target As, and save it to your desktop, downloads folder, or other place where you can easily access it.

Just noticed I can attach files into my posts. Its attached below too.

Attachments

• Tortoise Hibernation for Clients.pdf
    100.7 KB · Views: 94

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Thanks, that worked!

Neltharion said:
GBtortoises said:

Depending on your system security settings, you are probably getting a blank browser with 'about:blank' in the url line. Try right clicking the link, do a Save Target As, and save it to your desktop, downloads folder, or other place where you can easily access it.

Just noticed I can attach files into my posts. Its attached below too.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
emysemys said:
I was doing a GOOGLE search on a medication that someone was asking about and I found this on hibernation. Its a PDF file, and it wouldn't let me copy/paste it, so you have to click the link...sorry:

http://web.mac.com/hohovets/Tortois...]__files/Tortoise Hibernation for Clients.pdf

Good post. Thanks! However, one line does give me pause. In answer to the question, "How long should we hibernate for?" the pamphlet states:

Never greater than 3 months, possibly one month for juveniles

Is this good advice for all species, or just Hermanns and Greeks? In the wild, Russians hibernate from November through March. Should I not allow them to do the same in captivity?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Geo, that statement had me pause for a moment as well, as the CDT can go down from November to Feb-March depending on the weather of course....so I am electing to monitor weather near Feb-March and will go from there....I do know that the guys sleeping here ate and hydrated all tortoise season and so their weight and all other visual checks were in place before they began their brumation on Nov 1...this is all of course IMHO :D

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
I think its not recommended to hibernate for more than 3 mths in captivity. I have seen a recommendation for a month for young tortoises too.
I guess if a person has the ideal conditions and is weighing-it may not hurt for longer.
I always went with a maximum of 12 weeks myself.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Tortoise said:
I think its not recommended to hibernate for more than 3 mths in captivity. I have seen a recommendation for a month for young tortoises too.
I guess if a person has the ideal conditions and is weighing-it may not hurt for longer.
I always went with a maximum of 12 weeks myself.

Only reason I want to do the full 5 months, is that my torts really wanted to brumate. They stayed buried and weren't eating, which is why I felt like I had to stick them in the fridge; it was for their own good. If they're going to fast for a prolonged period, I'd rather they do it at 40*F than at room temperature, so that their metabolism will be slower, and they will go through their fat reserves more slowly as well.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Geo, I think that if you are going to do the extended sleep you will just want to really really really make sure you have a keen eye (sometimes taking a photo on your check ins helps the memory) to assure that you notice anything right away, you know? Sometimes our eyesight and memory will play games with us after we look at something enough times....I think pics are good as a reference (or would be for me I should say :D) ....

If you sense anything going south you can immediately jump into action to start their warm up back to regular temps if needed, you know? IMHO :D

Status
Not open for further replies.