Hibiscus anyone ???!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings...

Nice pix of your lil tort chowing down on such a nice big bright red hibiscus. I just wanted to point out that I noticed you have rabbit pellets there as a substrate, maybe you have since changed, but these pellets are really not recommended as a good and proper substrate for torts.

Good substrates - fine to medium orchid bark, coco coir, cypress mulch are the ones most oftem used and recommended. They readily hold moisture, don’t easily mold or mildew, provide good footing for a tort, rather inexpensive if you get them from any source OTHER than your local pet shop.

Hope that helps... good luck

Last edited:

Arzu78

San Juan, Puerto Rico
The vet reccomended them, but I don’t like it at all ... Plus the whole house smells terrible. Changing it ASAP. He doesn’t want the enclosures to be too humid right now for them, they felt “too cold” for him, apparently I over did it wetting the bark ... Today they got loads of sun n’soak n’more sun pI am following vet orders, he is a veterinarian/zoologist specializing in exotic animals, so we’re in good hands!!! Thank you for your help!!!!

Bee62

Germany
The vet reccomended them, but I don’t like it at all ... Plus the whole house smells terrible. Changing it ASAP. He doesn’t want the enclosures to be too humid right now for them, they felt “too cold” for him, apparently I over did it wetting the bark ... Today they got loads of sun n’soak n’more sun pI am following vet orders, he is a veterinarian/zoologist specializing in exotic animals, so we’re in good hands!!! Thank you for your help!!!!
When your VET recommended rabbit pellets he might not be up to date what raising baby sulcatas concerns.
Keeping them in dry enclosures is the best way to have a pyramided tortoise soon. Keeping them too long in hot sun also. These are outdated informations. Sulcata babies need warm and humid conditions to grow smooth and healthy.
Give these threads a read:
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.64290/

Arzu78

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Hibiscus leaves are also a very good food. And in most climates a free food!

I have hundreds !!!!
When your VET recommended rabbit pellets he might not be up to date what raising baby sulcatas concerns.
Keeping them in dry enclosures is the best way to have a pyramided tortoise soon. Keeping them too long in hot sun also. These are outdated informations. Sulcata babies need warm and humid conditions to grow smooth and healthy.
Give these threads a read:
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.64290/
Hi, thank you, it’s a temporary situation, their body temp was too low, I put more water than needed, there was not enough heat from the bulbs to make up for, now they are much better, but their shells are soft in their bellies, we almost lost them, they are just doing 30 min/soak-sun in the morning and in the afternoon for two weeks until Jack starts eating again. It’s been really stressful, they are going to survive!!!

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Your zoologist doesn't know sulcata's. Hope they get better

Arzu78

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Hi everyone, every case is different, I stand by him, because he had them in his hands, although you may differ please give us a break. The story is long, is posted somewhere in the forum. I posted the photo because I thought the hibiscus was beautiful and that is Lizzy lloked great, btw, she is doing much better than Jack who’s not eating ... It’s been a stressfull week, and I’m hoping for the best, Jack opens his eyes and walks around and drinks his carrotbabyfood/water only when he is in the sun in the soak, so for now it is what it is. Thank you again for the support!!! Please understand my position, thank you again.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi everyone, every case is different, I stand by him, because he had them in his hands, although you may differ please give us a break. The story is long, is posted somewhere in the forum. I posted the photo because I thought the hibiscus was beautiful and that is Lizzy lloked great, btw, she is doing much better than Jack who’s not eating ... It’s been a stressfull week, and I’m hoping for the best, Jack opens his eyes and walks around and drinks his carrotbabyfood/water only when he is in the sun in the soak, so for now it is what it is. Thank you again for the support!!! Please understand my position, thank you again.
You're not alone in using the rabbit pellets. Lots of well meaning folks have. Lots of pet stores do. And lots of vets did lot of reading from old, outdated information.
Please don't take any of this attempt to help as anything but that.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Hey im not trying to attack you or your vet I just said your vet doesn't know sulcatas doesn't make this person a bad vet. I just share my opinion that I disagree with your vet's advice for the well being of your tort. I get that you had a rough week, never easy to deal with this kind of stuff. Anyway, keep up the good cares, this forum is the best vet there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.