Hibiscus Liqueur

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I got in a resupply order of hibiscus, and it was a bit more than the container I've been using holds, so...

I made a gallon of hibiscus liqueur this afternoon. A really strong batch of hibiscus tea, accented with orange peel, sweetened with demerara sugar, mixed 50:50 with 100-proof vodka and sealed in mason jars for a few weeks to let the flavors get to know each other a bit.

ahumado_recipe.jpg

I'll bottle the stuff for gifting and enjoying in the form of summer spritzers and as a boozy mixer.

Jamie

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I got in a resupply order of hibiscus, and it was a bit more than the container I've been using holds, so...

I made a gallon of hibiscus liqueur this afternoon. A really strong batch of hibiscus tea, accented with orange peel, sweetened with demerara sugar, mixed 50:50 with 100-proof vodka and sealed in mason jars for a few weeks to let the flavors get to know each other a bit.

View attachment 356155

I'll bottle the stuff for gifting and enjoying in the form of summer spritzers and as a boozy mixer.

Jamie
Does Hibiscus have a flavor that you can describe?
I've handled it for decades and it smells like absolutely nothing to me

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Does Hibiscus have a flavor that you can describe?
I've handled it for decades and it smells like absolutely nothing to me
I find it floral and fruity... the molasses in the demerara sugar and the oils in the orange peel help to bring it out, I think... plus I love to color.

The dry stuff has no appreciable smell or flavor to me.

J

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Maybe it has herbal extracts that can come out when you make tea with it. I'll have to look it up 😁 an herbal drink with benefits.🙂

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Maybe it has herbal extracts that can come out when you make tea with it. I'll have to look it up 😁 an herbal drink with benefits.🙂
It does 😁 but be careful especially with high blood pressure meds.🙂

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
my wife fell in love with a hibiscus tea/lemonade mix years ago on vacation and we keep hibiscus tea bags in stock at the house now. You are gonna have some mighty happy friends giving gifts like that

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Love those flowers....the girls placed them in your private pool at your Casita on the cliffs at La Brisas in Acapulco.....my first trip to Mex. seeing the pics gives me a chance to enjoy it over again....thanks and good luck with your drink!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I decanted the first mason jar of the stuff this morning, and am planning on enjoying a boozy spritzer out on the deck this afternoon.

Jamie