Hibiscus Liqueur

jsheffield - In Memoriam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I got in a resupply order of hibiscus, and it was a bit more than the container I've been using holds, so...

I made a gallon of hibiscus liqueur this afternoon. A really strong batch of hibiscus tea, accented with orange peel, sweetened with demerara sugar, mixed 50:50 with 100-proof vodka and sealed in mason jars for a few weeks to let the flavors get to know each other a bit.

ahumado_recipe.jpg

I'll bottle the stuff for gifting and enjoying in the form of summer spritzers and as a boozy mixer.

Jamie

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I got in a resupply order of hibiscus, and it was a bit more than the container I've been using holds, so...

I made a gallon of hibiscus liqueur this afternoon. A really strong batch of hibiscus tea, accented with orange peel, sweetened with demerara sugar, mixed 50:50 with 100-proof vodka and sealed in mason jars for a few weeks to let the flavors get to know each other a bit.

View attachment 356155

I'll bottle the stuff for gifting and enjoying in the form of summer spritzers and as a boozy mixer.

Jamie
Does Hibiscus have a flavor that you can describe?
I've handled it for decades and it smells like absolutely nothing to me

jsheffield - In Memoriam

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Does Hibiscus have a flavor that you can describe?
I've handled it for decades and it smells like absolutely nothing to me
I find it floral and fruity... the molasses in the demerara sugar and the oils in the orange peel help to bring it out, I think... plus I love to color.

The dry stuff has no appreciable smell or flavor to me.

J

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Maybe it has herbal extracts that can come out when you make tea with it. I'll have to look it up 😁 an herbal drink with benefits.🙂