hibiscus

Status
Not open for further replies.

grooby

5 Year Member
so i just bought a hibiscus plant a few weeks ago, and planted it in my garden and waited for the new flowers to bloom so theres no pesticides whatsoever, is it safe yet to give to my tortoise? and do i feed him the entire flower or just the leaves?please help!

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenmoore, PA
They can eat the leaves too, but they may not be as interested in the leaves as they are in the flowers.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I planted mine in the enclosure one evening and the next morning my redfoot ran up to it and nibbled on the leaves. It's now pretty bare so I need to block it off and maybe buy another. He looked so cute stretching his neck up to to eat. I waiting about 2mo before planting it in the enclosure. As soon as I did it bloomed like crazy.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Both leaves and flowers are edible.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
My guy eats flowers as fast as the bush will produce them.. I have planted 4 around the backyard.. The one that was in his enclosure is gone, mowed down one morning while I watched in amazement. So I put the rest outside of the enclosure. When he is loose in the yard, he will check them and once in a while if no flowers are available he will take a chunk of leave like , you better give me flowers or else...lol.. I have one that's pretty good sized that shades his habitat and hangs over the wall, he very rarely will take the leaves but the grape vine over his hide is like a drive thru...

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Bowser loves the leaves and flowers. Whenever we get flowers on the plant I give to Bowser. He loves them!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
As Neal said...flowers and leaves ONLY! But, I would give it a good month or so before I feed out...you never know what kind of pesticides were used prior to your acquisition.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I know of larger tortoises that also eat the branches.

Status
Not open for further replies.