Hide attachment?

SteveM

Location (City and/or State)
MS
Do babies get attached to their hides? I started with one of the open ended hollow logs with a piece of wood attached to the end but it was too tall and open. It wasn't really a "hide" and I was informed it wouldn't be humid enough. A few weeks ago I changed that out for a porcelain open ended log, crammed it down into the substrate a little, covered it with a layer of coco coir and cyprus mulch and filled in the back side. Mikey had enough room to walk in and be far enough back you couldn't see him in the shadow. He has since dug down and made a pit that goes a little passed the wall on one side. Is he just getting comfortable? I like to think he is just making it his but I'll get something bigger if I need to.

Attachments

• 20221129_172026.jpg
    20221129_172026.jpg
    793.4 KB · Views: 5

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Do babies get attached to their hides? I started with one of the open ended hollow logs with a piece of wood attached to the end but it was too tall and open. It wasn't really a "hide" and I was informed it wouldn't be humid enough. A few weeks ago I changed that out for a porcelain open ended log, crammed it down into the substrate a little, covered it with a layer of coco coir and cyprus mulch and filled in the back side. Mikey had enough room to walk in and be far enough back you couldn't see him in the shadow. He has since dug down and made a pit that goes a little passed the wall on one side. Is he just getting comfortable? I like to think he is just making it his but I'll get something bigger if I need to.
That's exactly what I've done in the past.
By pushing the pot or whatever into the substrate and then scooping out some with your hand you can create a nice hide that is also less of a flipping hazard. Because it's not raised.
They will eventually see that as part of their territory and be very comfortable with it.

Don't try this with one of those wooden half logs that pet shops sell. The humidity makes them rot and grow moldy

SteveM

MS
That's exactly what I've done in the past.
By pushing the pot or whatever into the substrate and then scooping out some with your hand you can create a nice hide that is also less of a flipping hazard. Because it's not raised.
They will eventually see that as part of their territory and be very comfortable with it.

Don't try this with one of those wooden half logs that pet shops sell. The humidity makes them rot and grow moldy
He's got about 6" of depth he can go to. This morning I brought him some food and he had even more dug out, as long as he doesn't get too close to the heating pad I'll let him dig all he wants. I would turn it off now but I'm sure it helps keep the temp/humidity the way he wants it in there. Checked with a laser thermometer the ground temp in the back/bottom where he stays is 90.9

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He's got about 6" of depth he can go to. This morning I brought him some food and he had even more dug out, as long as he doesn't get too close to the heating pad I'll let him dig all he wants. I would turn it off now but I'm sure it helps keep the temp/humidity the way he wants it in there. Checked with a laser thermometer the ground temp in the back/bottom where he stays is 90.9
Tortoise don't like change so it takes them some time to get used to new things.