Hide placement

doletorts

10 Year Member!
I have a redfoot in a glass tank right now. I have his hide on the right side but it takes up the whole right wall and like 1/3 of the tank (but seeing how much time he spends inside it, i'm glad i got the largest log at petco) i have the water bowl on the left side, along with the food. I was wondering if i could put the hide in the middle so it could be like a tunnel almost. I would have the uvb on the left above food and water and maybe put a piece of slate under the basking light on the right. I'm open to suggestions about placement and layout. Here's a pic

Oops.... It didn't post. Here you go ImageUploadedByTortForum1386041452.499855.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Technically you could make a tunnel but the point of a hide is for them to retreat and feel safe. A tunnel wont offer them the same feeling of safety.

I'm curious, how large is your redfoot? Is this where he lives full time? The tank looks awfully small to be his full time living quarters. My *starter* suggestions would be
a- bigger tank. much bigger.
b- add some decor. rocks, plants (real or fake)
c- use your log for a tunnel and build substrate over it to double as a bridge he can walk over
d- add an additional, more secure hide.

Let us know what you decide to do :)

doletorts

10 Year Member!
I agree, this is very small but hes still little too. We are adding decor soon. And once its summer i plan on taking him out alot for time to roam around his pen but since im in northern illinois temps r pretty low right now

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
doletorts said:
...but since im in northern illinois temps r pretty low right now

Even more reason to make his indoor enclosure as big as possible and much more fun and interesting for him.

Good suggestions from Heather.

doletorts

10 Year Member!
Ok thanks. And how do you suggest i build the "bridge" cuz it sounds fun? What kind of live plants could i use that would provide shade but could double as food? And finally, if i move the hide to the middle and make larger true basking area, could i use one of those slate pieces at petco for something to bask on?