Hide box

Brbolton77

5 Year Member
I have a baby sully and ive tried to put in a few diferent hide boxes and he refuses to use them, he will literally go to another corner and dig his burrow there or he will dig up around his hide and push it out of the way is this ok that he prefers to dig a burrow under his basking light instead of using the hide box

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is common. Small sulcatas tend to avoid any sort of burrow or hole in the ground. Make sure your temps are correct (above 80 day and night) and then keep putting him in the box after lights out. Sometimes it takes a month or two and then one day, you can't hardly get them to come out of their hide.

Brbolton77

5 Year Member
I took it out for now because he fell off and flipped over onto his back climbing over top of it, im gonna be upgrading his enclosure within the next month or so and i will try to find a better way to put in a hide box, does anyone have any suggestions?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I've done what Tom suggests. I kept putting mine in, over and over, and then one night I didn't need to any longer. I use an upside down Rubbermaid storage box, with a hole cut in the side. He has never tried climbing on top, he does move it all over.

Brbolton77

5 Year Member
Maybe i can try that cuz i was putting them halfway down in the substrate and then covering it up with substrate to make like a cave burrow and he did not like it at all

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use black dish washing tubs from Walmart. I flip them upside down, cut out a door hole and put them over wet substrate. They work great and only cost $1.82.